R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFriction sway control OR weight distribution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friction sway control OR weight distribution
    Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I'd like to try a WDH sometime to see if I notice a difference, but here's what I infer from the fact that I'm not seeing a problem without a WDH,the  pod weighs roughly 3500 pounds, and that at least the E2 WDH starts with a hitch rated for 6000 pounds and goes up from there: I don't need a WDH and it seems like the WDH manufacturers don't think they are necessary for lighter-weight trailers like the pod.  Why don't they make models for 4000 and 5000 pound trailers?  I would think a WDH might really make sense for a light trailer behind a TV rated to pull a 3500 pound trailer.  Maybe not so much for a pod behind a TV rated to pull 5000 pounds.

I used to think trailer brakes were sort of a luxury for careless people.  Having used them with the pod I'm totally convinced they are almost an absolute necessity, aside from the fact that they are almost universally legally required.  I have an open mind about WDHs, but remain unconvinced, at least in my case with an FJ Cruiser rated to pull 5000 lbs and with WDH manufacturers implying rather clearly that they don't see a need, or at least they don't see a market, for WDHs for trailers under 6000 pounds.

Convincing me to spend $400 just to check it out is so far a no-go.

TT

I think a more accurate way to look at the E2 ratings is "up to." The 6000 pound unit is good up to 6000, the 10000 pound unit is OK up to 10000, etc. The promary factor in the FJ's 5000# rating is the 4.0L engine in place of the 3.5L. The bigger engine helps acceleration and in overcoming wind resistance on the highway. It doesn't help the ride or the steering properties. The main thing you would notice with the WDH is a reduction what some call porpoising. This is the bucking or bouncing caused by the trailer bouncing on the ball when going over dips and bumps on the road. If you're not bothered now and if the loading on the rear bumper does not mess up the front wheel steering you're good to go.

And I wholly agree on the brakes. Yes..Yes..Yes

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 9:23am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I'd like to try a WDH sometime to see if I notice a difference, but here's what I infer from the fact that I'm not seeing a problem without a WDH,the  pod weighs roughly 3500 pounds, and that at least the E2 WDH starts with a hitch rated for 6000 pounds and goes up from there: I don't need a WDH and it seems like the WDH manufacturers don't think they are necessary for lighter-weight trailers like the pod.  Why don't they make models for 4000 and 5000 pound trailers?  I would think a WDH might really make sense for a light trailer behind a TV rated to pull a 3500 pound trailer.  Maybe not so much for a pod behind a TV rated to pull 5000 pounds.

I used to think trailer brakes were sort of a luxury for careless people.  Having used them with the pod I'm totally convinced they are almost an absolute necessity, aside from the fact that they are almost universally legally required.  I have an open mind about WDHs, but remain unconvinced, at least in my case with an FJ Cruiser rated to pull 5000 lbs and with WDH manufacturers implying rather clearly that they don't see a need, or at least they don't see a market, for WDHs for trailers under 6000 pounds.

Convincing me to spend $400 just to check it out is so far a no-go.

TT

I think a more accurate way to look at the E2 ratings is "up to." The 6000 pound unit is good up to 6000, the 10000 pound unit is OK up to 10000, etc. The promary factor in the FJ's 5000# rating is the 4.0L engine in place of the 3.5L. The bigger engine helps acceleration and in overcoming wind resistance on the highway. It doesn't help the ride or the steering properties. The main thing you would notice with the WDH is a reduction what some call porpoising. This is the bucking or bouncing caused by the trailer bouncing on the ball when going over dips and bumps on the road. If you're not bothered now and if the loading on the rear bumper does not mess up the front wheel steering you're good to go.

And I wholly agree on the brakes. Yes..Yes..Yes

Thanks again for the good info. This forum continues to be a great source of info.
[/URL]
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 9:43am

[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the good info. This forum continues to be a great source of info.
[/QUOTE]

Jim, I hope you will still have a WDH installed.  Once you use in on the highway you will never leave home again without it.  I agree with CharlieM except I think anyone towing a R-Pod (or any other TT) will see the benefits of a WDH once they use one.  The same is true of sway control. 

Bob

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 9:46am
Yes, we are having one installed Tuesday, based on the recommendations here.
[/URL]
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Sleepless

[/QUOTE]

Jim, I hope you will still have a WDH installed.  Once you use in on the highway you will never leave home again without it.  I agree with CharlieM except I think anyone towing a R-Pod (or any other TT) will see the benefits of a WDH once they use one.  The same is true of sway control. 

Bob

[/QUOTE]

Bob,

Make no mistake. I am a firm believer and dedicated user of my E2 for my 172 and Honda Pilot. My comments were mainly aimed at the diehards. I also can speak from experience on the risks of improper dealer installation. The E2 must be properly installed and set up. My advice to all.

Happy Podding,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 12:17pm
  I have been looking at the new Anderson WDH it is different and has some good reviews there are a lot of good features. If we buy a larger camper we will most likely go with the Anderson hitch.   David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

I have been looking at the new Anderson WDH it is different and has some good reviews there are a lot of good features. If we buy a larger camper we will most likely go with the Anderson hitch.   David

That is certainly different but rather expensive.   I have never seen one.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 11:57pm

They do make 4000 pound WDHs, but I wouldn't recommend it because if you move to a larger camper you'll need to replace the WDH too.  That is why I bought the 6000 pound model.

This is the Equalizer 4k model, they make the E2 too.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 10:35pm
E2 installed today.  Big difference.  THANKS to everyone for the feedback.
[/URL]
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 1:17am
Thumbs Up
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>