R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFriction sway control OR weight distribution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friction sway control OR weight distribution
    Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by CharlieM

OK. Here's my put on the subject. I tow an RP-172 with a 2010 4WD Honda Pilot rated at 4500 pounds. BTW, I also have a V6 Tacoma but I don't tow with it.

Sway control and weight distribution are two separate functions. Sway control keeps the trailer directly behind the TV so it doesn't try to steer the TV. It usually employs some sort of friction device. Weight distribution shifts a portion of the trailer tongue weight off the back of the TV and onto the TV front wheels and trailer axle. This restores steering control to the TV front wheels. In addition the WDH eliminates most of the "porpoising" experienced when going over dips and bumps on the road. For light weight short wheelbase TVs like the Tacoma and Honda I highly recommend both. This is for safety, comfort, and mental stress. Many Podders use the E2 hitch which combines weight distribution and sway control in a single device. A single set of bars provides both functions. When PROPERLY ADJUSTED you won't even know the Pod is back there, except for acceleration and gas mileage. I emphasize: read and understand the installation instructions and check the setup. Don't trust the dealer's work. An improperly adjusted WDH can be worse than nothing at all. I had that experience and had a very bad time until I readjusted the hitch.

I have the E2, have gone through the setup, and am very glad to have it.

Charlie, I pull a 178 with a 2013 Honda Ridgeline, which I understand is based on the Pilot footprint.  I looked at getting a weight distribution hitch but the owner's manual has a recommendation against it, saying it could impact vehicle performance etc.  Did your Pilot have the same warning, since both are 4WD, or is this just Honda's lawyers covering themselves?  No problems towing the 178 with the Ridgeline, which is rated at 5K pounds.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.
[/URL]
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 12:18pm
Jim,

My 2010 Pilot book has a similar statement, but it says"A weight distributing hitch is not recommended ...as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce..." The key here is improperly adjusted and I completely agree. Proper adjustment is essential as I noted in my original reply. With a properly adjusted WDH and brake controller towing with the Honda is a breeze. Your Ridgeline should be similar. The hitch really makes a difference in the TV ride and control. Try one, you'll like it!

And yes, Honda does have their lawyers on staff. Wink

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:25pm
Thanks.  Is there a particular WDH that you would recommend?
[/URL]
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 1:54pm
Yes. Many of us Podders use the E2 hitch from Progress Mfg., although their Equalizer hitch, a bit more expensive, will also be fine. These are available at many trailer/RV dealers.

http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2/

Both provide weight distribution AND sway control in a single unit.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:54pm
+1 on the E2.  I've had mine about 3 years now and still use it with my newer TV even though it isn't necessary from a weight distribution standpoint.  It still makes the ride much more comfortable, acting as an additional spring between the TV and pod.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 5:22am
My TV is a Toyota FJ Cruiser, and after pulling several thousand miles over all kinds of roads, I think it does quite well without a WDH or swaybars with my 176.  I've never felt the slightest sway although the Pod certainly puts some weight on the ball.  I've never used a WDH, so I don't know what I'm missing.  But here's my question: WDHs come rated for trailer and tongue weights.  The smallest E2 seems to be rated for 600 pounds of tongue weight and a 6000 pound trailer.  That's roughly two rpods.  I have to assume you wouldn't want anything heavier-duty, but isn't even the smallest E2 way overkill for an rpod?

TT
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:56am
Before I moved from the Midwest, I was pulling a 6800# trailer using a 10,000# capacity WDH.  I kept that hitch and now use it on my R-Pod, although it is larger than recommended.  Buy a 6000# capacity hitch instead.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 11:57pm
The manufacturer confirmed that it is ok to use a heavier-rated WDH.  I use the 6000 pound version.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 8:09am
I'd like to try a WDH sometime to see if I notice a difference, but here's what I infer from the fact that I'm not seeing a problem without a WDH,the  pod weighs roughly 3500 pounds, and that at least the E2 WDH starts with a hitch rated for 6000 pounds and goes up from there: I don't need a WDH and it seems like the WDH manufacturers don't think they are necessary for lighter-weight trailers like the pod.  Why don't they make models for 4000 and 5000 pound trailers?  I would think a WDH might really make sense for a light trailer behind a TV rated to pull a 3500 pound trailer.  Maybe not so much for a pod behind a TV rated to pull 5000 pounds.

I used to think trailer brakes were sort of a luxury for careless people.  Having used them with the pod I'm totally convinced they are almost an absolute necessity, aside from the fact that they are almost universally legally required.  I have an open mind about WDHs, but remain unconvinced, at least in my case with an FJ Cruiser rated to pull 5000 lbs and with WDH manufacturers implying rather clearly that they don't see a need, or at least they don't see a market, for WDHs for trailers under 6000 pounds.

Convincing me to spend $400 just to check it out is so far a no-go.

TT
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 8:14am
Decided to get one installed. (This Tuesday)  Lots of opinions on this board and thanks for the feedback.  I'll add my opinion once its up and going.  Have a great weekend!
[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>