R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy generator mount

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My generator mount
    Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:00pm

I needed a way to mount our generator which wouldn't transfer vibrations through the frame, would block the sound in the air, and wouldn't require me to move it before using it.  I also needed a way to protect it going down the road and while its operating, but easily fuel it, start it, and give it good ventilation.  So I mounted a receiver hitch on the front of the truck and mounted a cargo tray to it (which we will use to move our bikes locally).  I then built a box which opens like a clamshell, and the sides open as well for ventilation while still giving protection from rain.  There is room inside for a smaller gas can.  I'll be picking up a 2 1/2 gallon can shortly.

Two 2 x 4s keep the sides propped open, or I can use one of them to hold the top open while fueling, seen below.  They go in the back of the truck for travel.

I didn't have enough paint for the inside, yet.

Fully closed for travel.  I'll add a tie-down over the top since nothing is really keeping it in place except the really big chains on the back.  They go through holes in the box to two large padlocks attached to holes I drilled in the genset's frame (seen in a prior pic).  Since the chains go through the tray's frame too, nothing should be able to "walk".  I'll use a smaller chain for the gas can.  I added removable corner markers to help me - and other drivers.  This tray can fold up which is why I made the poles removable, although it won't fold up properly when mounted on the front, only on the back.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:43pm
Very Well built!!  It reminds me of the generator box I built when I had a 1979 Winnebago (Toyota) motor home, except mine was mounted on the rear of the MH.  Yours is better engineered and I like it.  
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 9:40pm
I got the 2 1/2 gallon can today.  Unfortunately it is about an inch too wide to properly fit inside the box while it is closed up, however I was still able to make it fit by forcing things a bit.  When faced with a problem use a bigger hammer, right?  I still need to get the wiring in place from the front of the truck to the back, a job for tomorrow.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 10:26pm
Will you be adding 30 amp connectors at the back of your TV and then another to a cable hard-wired into the trailer power supply, or using the existing pod 30 amp cord when on site and plugging it into a connector at the back of your truck? 

When I first looked at your photos, I was wondering about your proposed connection to the pod.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 9:14am
I love this idea except there is no way I could get this rig in my driveway. It has to steep a slope. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 11:13pm
My plan was to run a semi-permanent line along the truck's frame, with a 15-amp plug on the front left plugged into the generator, then a 30-amp outlet at the rear of the truck where I could plug in the pod's power cord.  I have the parts but didn't get to it for this trip.  My plan now is to run a heavy-duty extension cord on the inside of the truck.  I'll run the plug out of the driver or passenger door to the genset when I get where I'm going, and run the pod's power cord into the rear hatch to keep the connection out of the rain.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 11:32pm
I might have the same generator.  Mine is a Yamaha 2400ishc.  It's the only generator I've ever had -- so can't compare -- but I've been very happy with it.  I also use a front-mounted cargo carrier, which I got for the geny (but I get a lot of other use out of it), and I have exactly the same orange markers mounted on the front corners of my cargo carrier.  I use a Yamaha cover for the generator on the road.

I dismount my geny and leave it at the campsite once I get there.   While I like the idea of your box for use in the rain and as a sound barrier, I'm nervous about heat and oxygen issues so I'm still working on a campsite solution that address those. 

It seems that the extra weight on the front of the vehicle levels me out pretty well while towing the pod and actually increase my gas mileage.

TT 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 11:27pm

Yours is the newer model.  Supposed to have more A/C starting power, but it lacks the ability to pair it with another 2400.  My only worry for this trip is that the tank may not be big enough for a complete overnight stay.

Great minds think alike!  Its working out well so far.  I ran it over an hour while we made dinner and got things situated tonight (at Wal-Mart as planned).  I just went out to top off the tank so I can go to bed soon.  It didn't feel too warm, or the box, so no worries about ventilation yet.

Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 5:23pm
Both Yamaha and Honda make these little inverter generators. The Honda model has a fuel pump though. This means with a special cap you can connect it to an outboard motor fuel tank and not have to transfer fuel.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 5:24pm
Question: Will your Yamaha start and run the A/C on the pod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>