R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy generator mount

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My generator mount
    Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 5:41pm
After comparing almost all the inverters available on the market, I bought a Dometic LW3000 inverter unit.  It easily started the Dometic 13.5K A/C on my last trailer and does the same thing with the Coleman A/C on my pod.  Best of all, it is key (electric) start purrs compared to my older generator.  Rated at 2.6K for continuous running. 

I would think the Yamaha (and Honda) would perform similarly.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 7:54pm
No problem with my Yamaha. Ran the A/C all night 2 nights ago.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Thinker

Question: Will your Yamaha start and run the A/C on the pod.

Mine is the Yamaha EF2400iSHC and yes, it will.  Not all air conditioners are the same, so it might or might not work with yours.  I chose this generator specifically because it would start and run the AC.  The smaller 2000w Yamaha and Honda generators won't do this by themselves, but will let you pair two generators for roughly 4000 watts.  That gives you enough power to run the AC and the microwave and just about anything else at the same time, which the 2400 will not.  If I want to use the microwave I have to turn off the AC.  Ditto if I want to use the microwave while running a 1500w space heater.  The only real hassle for me is remembering to turn one thing off to use the other.  My generator shuts right off if it's overloaded, so I'm learning to remember through negative reinforcement.  There has never been a time yet when I couldn't get by without climate control long enough to cook whatever I wanted to cook.

One generator is all I want to carry around if I can help it.  And I wanted a quiet generator that wouldn't break my bank account.  Neither Hondas nor Yamahas are cheap, but the 2400 is cheaper and quieter than any alternative I could find that would run the AC.  So far it's been extremely reliable -- starting on the first pull every time.  And without AC, the thing runs forever on a tank.  I forget how long it ran at the Outer Banks last month -- 12 hours, I think.

TT
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 9:05pm
I have the Honda 2000i and the Companion 2000i they both are set up to run off outboard motor tanks and will run 24 hours. I have them for emergency house power. We are near the Gulf coast and have outages during hurricanes.

I have a single room A/c that will run off a single Honda but I have to take it out of economy mode. With two paired they can both run in eco mode. In that mode, rpm adjusts to load.

Have not tried with the pod yet, been camping in campgrounds or friends yards by the river with a 30amp outlet.

I was thinking of a roof basket with a fuel tank. No matter what, carrying gasoline has increased danger.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 9:12pm
Mine starts on the first pull with fresh gas, but I learned that year-old gas (with sta-bil) requires 10-20 pulls. Ran fine, just didnt want to start. Lesson learned.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 1:35pm
Quick update on this project.  I have purchased a Honda EU3000is to replace the Yamaha shown earlier on this thread (the Yamaha is for sale).  It is about 3 inches taller than the Yamaha, but it will fit length and width w/o any changes to the box - only because I left room for a small gas can in my original design.  I shouldn't need a gas can now but even if I do I can chain it up on the tongue if I have to.  I'll have to increase the height of all 4 sides to make it work, fairly minor.  A new project for a rainy weekend.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 7:25pm
Why won't you need a gas can?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:36pm
I needed the gas can to get through a full stay before, but this new one should be ok on one fill-up.  Then I'll refill the next day when we fill up the truck.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:58pm
You'll like that EU3000is.  I've had one for several years.  I use one at my camp in the NC mountains to run an AC in the summer in our "cabin".  It is a heavy thing though, don't like to move it much.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:23pm
Nice set up!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171