R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Storage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Storage?
    Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 12:44pm
I ordered a new Dometic LW3000 portable generator and received it yesterday.  It is physically larger than I expected, weighing 60 plus pounds.  I originally planned to carry it in my tow vehicle, but that could prove to be a hassle.  Where to you store your generator (if you have one) while on the road?  I had originally planned to mount it next to the battery box on the tongue.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 2:52pm
My Champion weighs about the same.  It rides in the back of the truck bed next to the tailgate.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 4:13pm
Thanks for the reply.  Our TV is a Santa Fe so we don't have the luxury of a truck bed for storage.  I could probably squeeze the generator in the back of our vehicle, but then there is the problems of fumes and possible spillage.  I would have the same fears if the generator were stored inside the TT.  That leaves the tongue area and outside the rear of the pod.  I can't think of a practical mod for either area.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 5:59pm
On the forums there are several folks who have created carriers for generators based on the rear receiver hitch that the spare tire holder is plugged into. Neutralizes the fume concern, but has to be taken into account for effect on tongue weight.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 6:11pm
I had the same thought until I read some accounts about the weakness of the rear receiver and problems with them dragging on the pavement.  This is all second hand information to me, so maybe it has more merit than I have been led to believe.  It is something that merits me looking into.  Thanks.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 6:23pm
Search the forum as someone welded a storage basket onto the tongue and the generator rides on that storage basket as well as toolbox, batteries and LP.
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 6:32pm
Bob, I saw carrier the week of the NC rally that was about 42"x24" deep and the width of the pod.  It appeared to be supported by 1" tubing welded to the side frame members.  The box was plywood with a lifter supported lid.  The owners carried their anti-gravity chairs, some small bikes and similar stuff.  Must have been at least 60 lbs.  there is also a podder that created one that carried the generator and was vented and insulated for sound. He also had supported the box with extra welded on rails.

Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 9:36pm

I had the same problem with our genset - no bed to store it in, and for our long trip coming up I didn't want to have to move it around to use it.  I also didn't want to mount it on the pod since the vibration will travel through the frame making it impossible to sleep.

My solution was to mount a front receiver hitch on the truck and get a cargo tray.  I've built a box that opens on the sides, front and top so I can fuel it and start it but leave the sides open while it runs.  That protects it from the rain.  Fully closed it is protected going down the road.  I'm hoping to post pictures of it soon.  The truck absorbs most of the vibrations and then nothing gets past the hitch ball into the pod's frame. 

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 10:38pm
My generator rides in the back of the SUV - its not ideal, but I generally only bring the genny along to campgrounds within 3 hours of home, so its usually not in there for long.

If I was the OP, I'd seriously consider mounting a cargo tray to the tongue and rearranging the battery and propane tank to accommodate the genny.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 10:40pm
Our first motor home was a 1979 20' Winnebago on a Toyota chassis.  I built a similar box enclosure for a Coleman generator, mounted on an angle iron platform which was an extension of the vehicle's frame.  Ground clearance was not a problem, but vibration was.  I installed resilient motor mounts between the generator and the floor of the box.  Those "cushions" greatly reduced vibration.  Doug, I suggest you incorporate something similar in your design. 

Living on the east coast of Florida, I have a 5500 watt generator used only for prolonged power outages during severe storms and hurricanes that pass near our area.  It is one loud generator, typical of most larger units.  I built a 3-sided enclosure for it, and lined the inside with  insulation to muffle and funnel the sound away from our home.  It makes a big difference in the sound level. 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>