R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013 Honda Odyssey with R-POD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Honda Odyssey with R-POD?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 12:50am
Hello all, an RPOD noob here.

We've been looking and researching about RPOD for almost a year now.  We just purchased a 2013 Odyssey EX-L.  We think we should be able to haul RPOD with it, but after a recent conversation with a salesman at an RV place, we are not too sure anymore.  

If any of you own a 2012-2013 Odyssey + RPOD and have traveled with this combination, please we'd like to hear your opinion, tips, suggestions, or warnings.  Which RPOD is best for a family with two kids, etc.  Would like to haul bikes with it too if possible (hybrid and mountain).

We know we'll have to get the dealer installed towing set thingy for cooling the engine and what not.  Don't know much more than that.   We have two kids, age 6 and 2 and have already traveled to 15+ states with them; put 12,000 miles since February of this year (<5 months), so they are well experienced in traveling.   This will be, however, our first ever RV or trailer or travel trailer.  So we are still trying to learn about what to do, etc.

Thank you for your help,

Art & Lynn
Lexington KY
A 30+ couple who are R-POD Newbies with 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 6:31am
There are others towing with the Odyssey so I think it will do it. You may or may not be happy with the performance. Oh and welcome to the forum.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 8:53am
Honda Odysseys are not known well for their towing ability.  Although they are rated at 3500 pounds,  if loaded with people and cargo, even that ability can be drastically reduced. However, if you travel light, the Odyssey might do fine.
You may want to do a Google search to see other people's towing experiences with the Odysseys. 

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 9:00am
Take a look at this article.  http://www.odyclub.com/forums/12-minivan-comparisons/39338-odyssey-vs-ridgeline-towing-capability.html

I didn't realize that there is an Odyssey club online.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 9:12am
Well by the time you've added passengers and all of your gear you would easily be exceeding the 3500.

I'm know you can pull a Pod with your TV, but you'd be pushing your limits to the extreme and I do not believe you'd be happy with the towing experience.

That being said, depending on where you camp and how far you think you'd ever travel it's feasible.

We're actually on our way to Lexington tonight, staying at Horse Park for a few days!

Welcome to the group and good luck with your decision making.
TopJimmy5150 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 11:52am
I have an Odyssey with the towing package and a 178 and it does fine with the WDH and Friction sway.  I just did an 8 hour from Central PA to Cape Code, MA and it was outstanding, even with the winds on the Tappan Zee bridge.  It had plenty of power and stopping capabilities were excellent. 
Jay

2014 R-Pod RP178
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewman
2008 Honda Odyssey
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 1:40pm
 Welcome.  I used to tow with a less-powerful minivan (2003 Sienna) than your Odyssey and found after trips from MD to Maine and Florida that it just wasn't powerful enough to deal with extreme conditions at highway speeds.  The problem with the pod is the frontal area of the camper and not its weight - once you get above 55 mph you'll be using a good percentage of your engine's power just keeping it going through the air.  Get a good headwind like we did one day and you'll be flooring it just to maintain 50 mph.  That said, if most of your trips are going to be within a hour of home you'll get by.  Twisty steep back roads will be easier on it than highways.  I just wouldn't use it for long road trips very often, which is why we got our current TV for a long US tour. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Rugby8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 7:52am
I tow with a dodge grand caravan 2013 and have had a great experience. We get about 450-460 Km's a tank instead of 700 but that is to be expected. I would recommend sway control and weight distribution, Reese and equalizer are the 2 companies I know that make it.
2013 grand caravan
2010 176t pod
Wife, 2 boys, and golden retriever. Can life get any better
 Post Reply Post Reply