R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical Question in Campgrounds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Question in Campgrounds
    Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 7:50am
Originally posted by hogone

Good info.  So what do you guys do?  Or as techntrek stated, purchase the adapter(dogbone) that has the 30 amp breaker built in? 

I have always used the 30 amp plug at the campgrounds and I have never had any problems. At home I don't have a 30 amp so I use a 15 amp adaptor. this is safe because if I overload the circuit I just trip the breaker in the house. This has only happened once. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:07am

So are you saying that if a campsite has 50a service, it will also/always have 30a service in the same box?  I guess I thought and was under the impression that there are campsites with just a 50a hookup(no 30a), and that's why one may need the adaptor.  I think I'm confused now.  hogone

Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:25am
I've seen campgrounds with any and all combos of service at their poles.

90% of the time there will be 50a and 30a connections both from my experience.
75% of the time there will also be a 15a 110 connection also at the pole.

I've been to campgrounds where there is only 30a or a 50a at a pole.  But those are sites that are usually sized for the type of camper that would use that connection.  A large pull through site might sometimes only have the 50a connection, whereas a smaller campsite, something for Pods or Pop-ups and other sized campers might just have the 30a because a large rig could never park there.

What I've had happen is sometimes there may only be a 50a site left at a campground.  At times like that I'm glad to have my adapter and able to take the only remaining site.  Also there have been times where some people describe that the 30a connection is just overused and loose at times.  

I like having my adapters at the ready.  My 50a -> 30a, a 30a -> 15a, and an extra 25ft of RV extension cabling for when a pole is for some crazy reason miles away from your campsite.  Just like having extra water hose.  It's just a nice thing to be prepped for.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by hogone

So are you saying that if a campsite has 50a service, it will also/always have 30a service in the same box?  I guess I thought and was under the impression that there are campsites with just a 50a hookup(no 30a), and that's why one may need the adaptor.  I think I'm confused now.  hogone

Some campgrounds have 30 amp and 50 amp sites I don't think I have ever seen a campground that only had 50 amp sites. The 50 amp sites are usually big sites as most 50 amp rigs are either Class A or 5th wheal rigs. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 10:20am
With all due respect to Tekntrek and Seanl, and I have a lot of respect for these gents, the risk of using the 50A connection with a 30A cord/trailer is really minimal. The trailer circuit breaker will protect almost all of the trailer wiring and all wiring downstream of the main breaker. That only leaves the actual external cord laying on the ground. The chance of a fault in this cord or its connectors that would be caught with a 30A breaker, but not caught with the 50A breaker is really minimal.  You can't protect against everything. That said, if you can find an adapter with a built in 30A breaker, go for it. I didn't know they existed.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 2:43pm
It is a minimal risk, yes.  Not just from damage to the cord but also overload.  I've had enough stuff on in the pod that the internal breakers didn't trip but the 30 amp breaker outside did.  With a 50 amp breaker outside I could have caught the big cord on fire.

Just saying that in reply to the question "100% safe?", the answer is no.  I do have a dogbone, and one without the extra breaker since I didn't fully understand the problem when I bought it.  Would I still use it if the pole only had a 50 amp outlet?  Yes.  But knowledge is power. 

No pun intended.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Yes.  But knowledge is power. 

No pun intended.

Thanks Doug.  I needed that. Big smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD