R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpros and cons of risers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: pros and cons of risers.
    Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 8:16am
Originally posted by 21grandma

WinkHusband nixed the ideas of risers.Said gas mileage would decrease significantly. .....anyone noticed this?

No one has reported any real change in mileage from adding risers, or the fairing/light bar for those of us that got retro fitted with them.

We just did the trip down to NC for the rally, 1050 miles round trip, pretty hilly and curvy for a lot of it, and I do mean curvy.. as in "LOOK a Pod".. oh wait.. that's us.. curvy.. averaged right at 11.5 for the whole trip. When pulling on the interstate, cruise set at 60-62. (truck says it got 13.1 on it's little readout, but I have always known it is an optimist..)
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 10:33am
Originally posted by hogone

Charlie:  What do you mean by 'hook up the pod'?  Hooking it to the hitch literally due to the weight which obviously reduces gas mileage or hooking up the wiring and using the TV system to charge the pod?  Just want to clarify.  I could possibly see how risers could reduce mileage, as it would be up approx 3 more inches in the air, but your right, probably minimially. 

What I meant was just the fact that you decided to tow a trailer.  Tongue It's like pulling a parachute. Hooking up the battery charging line would be an unmeasurable difference. Even the weight is only a big factor when accelerating or going up a steep hill. By far the biggest impact is the wind resistance. Hence the large impact of higher speed you see reported around here.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 10:43am
That's what I thought!!  You know when I first looked at the pod I kind of thought (trust me I'm no engineer!) that it looked like and would be very aero-dynamic.  Of what I have been reading, not the case.  Oh well, still love the pod.
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 2:36pm
That's what everyone thinks, and FR implies it (or they used to, I haven't looked at their sales materials lately).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 4:52pm
Ok, I've towed the Pod for 3 years now and up until September of last year had not hit the Holy Grail of 13 mpg but once. Since then I have achieved 13 mpg several times towing the exact same routes as previously. Same truck, same gas, same common routes, same weather, same speeds for the last 1.5 years. I hand figure every tank. The only difference is the much maligned recall wing. Now I'll add more kindling to the fire. Since the addition of an air conditioner a couple weeks age, 4 of my 5 towing tanks have been above 14 mpg--again, over oft towed routes. The wing and the A/C are doing something to lessen the rear air drag. If my results are an anomaly, then they are a consistent anomaly that I'm happy to be a part of.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 1:49pm
Mine came with risers, I get 12.5 or 13 towing. If I want better mileage, I slow down. Mileage is inversely proportional to speed.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234