This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 87>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of tow vehicles and trailers
    Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 7:54am
Originally posted by pjmarko

I am looking at purchasing a R-Pod 179 and doing some traveling., due to retire shortly.  I have a 2016 F150 4X4 SCAB with 2.7 EB.  Should I look at getting a w/d hitch and do I need towing mirrors?  I have the tow package (not the max tow package) with brake controller. I will be traveling alone so not much will be in the truck.
According to the manual, that vehicle should handle a trailer up to 5,000 lbs and 500 lb tongue weight without a WDH. Same (similar) with ours. That said, you will find that using a WDH will make the whole package more stable, even if you technically don't "need" it.

We use a WDH, and find it makes the whole assembly (TV + TT) more manageable.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
backin15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote backin15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:34pm
I actually was going to go with the E2, but my dealer is the one who recommended the friction sway control, he did not see a need for the weight distribution hitch. I understand the concept of a weight distribution hitch, and used one for the past 14 years on my previous campers. The tongue weight is so low on the pod I don't think enough weight is taken off the front tires to worry about, and I don't miss the up down up down of connecting the bars. I will be hitching up tomorrow, I will take a before and after measurement of the front wheel well and see what the difference actually is.
2015 179
2013 Xterra Pro 4X
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wood River Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 11:45pm
I have a 2017 early (green) 179 HRE and 2010 Toyota Highlander with tow package.  Since getting our pod we've headed out on several long trips.  The longest was from south central Idaho down to Zion for 10 days over spring break.  Highlander has 5,000 rating with 500 max tongue.  When we pull the drift boat, we don't even know it's back there.  We purchases a friction sway bar with the pod and decided the rig could handled the weight.  It does...fairly well.  We like the sway bar peace of mind. 

While per the measurement, the front frame raises only an inch, it feels differently behind the wheel.  The back end drops almost 2 inches.  In maneuvering into spots on dirt or gravel, the front tires slip where they normally don't.  Also, a week ago we were coming home from camping up near Salmon, ID.  I followed the fam as I came late from work at the start of the trip.  I watched the pod bounce all the way home on the well traveled two lane road that follows the Salmon River through Stanley and up and over Galena Summit and then into our valley.  It was unsettling thinking of the wife/son getting into a situation with little room to maneuver and not be in control of the TT.  It was after that experience that I ordered the E2 WDH.  I have a rough fitting and will finish up this weekend.  I gain back all of the front rise and some of the back with sway protection to boot.  Also, I hope to take most of the bounce out of the ride.

Different rigs have different suspensions.  Our next might be bigger and beefier and the WDH won't be needed.  I'll post how the ride is after we are installed and towing with the E2.  That's my story.
Thanks

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:11am
Originally posted by pjmarko

I am looking at purchasing a R-Pod 179 and doing some traveling., due to retire shortly.  I have a 2016 F150 4X4 SCAB with 2.7 EB.  Should I look at getting a w/d hitch and do I need towing mirrors?  I have the tow package (not the max tow package) with brake controller. I will be traveling alone so not much will be in the truck.
\
Towing mirrors? That depends on the state in which you are towing. Vermont, for example, requires them. Other states just specify that you must have visibility parallel with the vehicle, so if the TV is wider than the trailer, you would be okay. If the trailer is wider than the TV, you would need them.
Check out AAA's list of state requirements at http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-mirrors/

If you want to make it more convenient, go to 1A Auto and get a set of mirrors that you can extend or retract as needed. That is what I did for my Frontier.
https://www.1aauto.com/content/articles/towing-mirrors
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
backin15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote backin15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:36am
I just hitched up, without the pod my front wheel well was 34 1/8" to the ground and hitched it is 34 1/2. This is fully loaded, we are on our way to meet our kids at a campground, and DW thinks if we don't bring enough fluids for them they will die. Therefore I have 3 cases of pop and 2 cases of water in the front.
This is why my dealer recommended against the weight distribution hitch, he didn't think there would be enough weight on it to give me proper sway control.
This will be our first real trip with the friction sway control, I am anxious to see how well it works. On my brief trip when I installed it, it seemed to work well.
2015 179
2013 Xterra Pro 4X
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 12:24pm
Not hooked up but that is the way it pulls with my Jeep. Like it is not connected. Mine is the gray Jeep.

2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
jcat5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jcat5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 8:15pm
'17 RP-180 from our maiden voyage last week.  Towed behind our '13 GC Laredo.  Handled it nicely but didn't like the hot weather (our car didn't come with the tow package - brake controller install was a real joy and this trip revealed we need more radiator - already in the works).  Trailer performed flawlessly and is already slated for another trip in 3 weeks (to a prettier location than this "shakedown cruise")...

"Always walk a mile in someone's shoes before criticizing them. That way, when the criticizing begins, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!"
pngunme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pngunme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Bugout

Ok how do post a picture 

Check rpodadmin 's post at the top of this link http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3539&PN=63&title=pictures-of-tow-vehicles-and-trailers
Dianna, Danny & Chester

2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River Edition
2002 Toyota Tundra
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 6:15pm

Just got the brake controller installed, will be towing soon!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith-N-Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:47pm
It didn't come with one?  The factory Ford controller is excellent and normally comes with the package.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 87>