R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill fridge run on propane with no electricity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will fridge run on propane with no electricity?
    Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:10am
Will the fridge, once it is fired up on propane, continue to run on propane if all electrical is then disconnected?  IE: I want to pre-cool it before heading out, so I connect the battery so I can get the ignitor to work and get the fridge running on propane, and then disconnect the battery.  When I tried this of course all the lights went out on the fridge once the electrical was disco'd, so I am not sure if it is still "running" on the propane.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:21am
My guess is no. The control circuitry probably controls an electric valve to turn the propane on and off. Even if the valve operated from a thermocouple like a home gas water heater, the flame would not re-ignite after the fridge reached temperature and shut down the first time. No pilot light on these units.

Charlie
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:42am
As CharlieM said, no; battery power is needed to run the fridge on propane. The fridge electronics require power as does the DSI.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:55am
Thanks ... that's what I thought and just needed it confirmed.  I reconnected the battery to keep it powered up, and just hope that the fridge electronics won't drain it too much in the 5 hours it is sitting this way.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 10:01am
You should be fine for many hours running on propane and the battery should recharge while you're driving. Though there is some controversy, I prefer to run the fridge on gas while traveling to make sure the battery is fully recharged. As I recall the fridge draws about 10 amps when running fully on DC and this can limit the charge to the trailer battery even when hooked to the TV.

Happy podding,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

You should be fine for many hours running on propane and the battery should recharge while you're driving. Though there is some controversy, I prefer to run the fridge on gas while traveling to make sure the battery is fully recharged. As I recall the fridge draws about 10 amps when running fully on DC and this can limit the charge to the trailer battery even when hooked to the TV.

Happy podding,

I'm not slamming you but I hope you never have an accident that crashes your camper with that gas turned on.  Big fire.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by TerryM

Originally posted by CharlieM

Happy podding,

I'm not slamming you but I hope you never have an accident that crashes your camper with that gas turned on.  Big fire.

Terry

Hate to say it.. but I believe this to be MUCH over hyped. Almost EVERY RV out there has only a 2 way fridge.. and they ALL go down the road on gas. The propane bottles have safeties built into them in case of line failure etc. If you have a crash so bad the propane lines are broken open.. I think a fire is low on the list of damage anyway.

I mean think about it.. BILLIONS of miles driven every year by RV's of all types.. very few spontaneous combustion events.

BUT to the OP's question.. Battery will run the fridge brain for a long time... Days and days. It's one of the lower draws on the 12v system. Heater motor, fantastic fan, water pump, lights. Thats where your amps go..

You know if all you are running is the fridge.. can you just run a regular extension cord out to the trailer? will be fine.
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:05pm
I agree with Furpod. However, there are laws against running with open propane. I know that some tunnels prohibit it. This means that if in an accident you will likely be cited with contributory negligence even if not at fault causing the accident === if there is a fire.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:18pm
It is only illegal to run wth propane on in a few specific tunnels, such as the ones in the Baltimore area.  Other than that it isn't illegal, or unsafe.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 5:50pm
OK. To try and put some practical science on this, I ran an experiment on my gas grill propane tank:

The full tank with nothing connected did not discharge any gas with the valve fully open.

The tank with only the grill regulator connected, but no grill connected, discharged gas at a very low rate with the valve fully open. This is only enough to light and run the appliance.

So I conclude: The tank safety valve will limit the flow for a completely open line such as a disconnected or broken line.

Now, if you leave the cook top on and the camper closed up you've got a problem.

Happy podding,
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>