R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill fridge run on propane with no electricity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will fridge run on propane with no electricity?
    Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:12am
Depends on how your particular charging system is set up on the TV. Some are litteraly nothing more than a fused lead from the battery.. But if you are hooked up to a TV with a factory tow package, as far as I know, it will protect the TV's battery through the relay.

We stay on 12v the whole pull. We run dual batteries, and my playing around with the multimeter tells me that with a pre-cooled fridge, we can sit overnight no problem. So a quick trip into Wendy's for some frosty action is going to be OK.

YMMV, as they say. Or, your YEMV in this case. (Electrons)
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 5:35pm
taking first trip since i put in the fuse/relay for charging(about a month ago); I understand all the pros/cons of traveling battery vs gas; but 1 question; I thought the the charging system off the tv only operates/works when in run position, therefore would not wear down tv battery when stopped; and if fridge is really cooled down, the pod battery would hardly wear down, and what little it did would recharge upon start up and rolling down the road; so why switch around until your at your base?  just curious.  going dry camping, have plenty of battery for 4 days, plan on gas while base camping............
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 8:07am
Originally posted by techntrek

Speaking of which... for anyone newer around here you'll notice some people have "podders Helping podders - pHp" by their name.  They have volunteered to provide assistance to podders on the road - some will help get help if needed, or pointers for their area, or even offer up their camp driveway for a night or two.  Personally I offer up all three.  Look for the pHp sub-forum for a list of everyone and their locations.

Yep. On the Airstream side it's called "Courtesy Parking". We met a couple nice people that way.

We used to live right on the bikecentennial route, which became the TransAmerica Bike Trail, and we had touring bicyclists camping in our yard quite a few times.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:34pm
Speaking of which... for anyone newer around here you'll notice some people have "podders Helping podders - pHp" by their name.  They have volunteered to provide assistance to podders on the road - some will help get help if needed, or pointers for their area, or even offer up their camp driveway for a night or two.  Personally I offer up all three.  Look for the pHp sub-forum for a list of everyone and their locations.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 5:31pm
Does in fact have a firepit.. the camp store is pretty basic.. but it does have these:

Oh, and free high speed wifi.

P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:34am
does it come with a firepit also??
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:13am
@Furpod  ~  Full hookups at camp driveway!!  How far in advance do you all take reservations, and what's the camp store like??
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 7:16pm
techntrek, where did you think we got that idea from other than you?   
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 4:47pm
furpod - I love the idea of bringing the dump station to the pod.  I can move our pod to our cleanout access to dump at home, but it isn't close to where we usually park it.  I'm getting ready to extend the parking area in front of our garage - kids with cars coming in the next few years, and as a better parking location for the pod.  It wouldn't be that hard to extend a pipe from the septic system to that new parking area but I hadn't thought of it before.  Already have a 30 amp outlet within reach and it doesn't take much to extend the hose.

Jdub - yes, many people plug in the night before to charge the battery and precool the fridge on AC mode (make sure you unplug the battery from the pod between uses, but plug it back in and then plug in the pod once a month to maintain battery health).  Personally I go down the road in 12 volt mode most of the time since we camp with hookups so I just switch between 120 and 12 volt modes.  However, on those trips where we dry camp I'll switch to propane mode before we leave and leave it there for the whole trip.  One less thing to fiddle with once we get to camp.

Edit: I do the same as P & M, if we stop for lunch or any other reason I'll switch it over to propane mode.  You WILL kill your battery quickly if you leave it in 12 volt mode too long w/o your engine running.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 4:30pm
Jdub, I actually run it both ways when I'm traveling.  I will run it on 12v until I stop, and if we are stopping for any longer than 15-20 minutes or so (like for lunch and beverages) I'll switch it over to propane so that I don't drain my batteries.  Then I switch it back over when we are ready to take off, and shut off the propane.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>