R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSway Bar Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Bar Rig
    Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:37am
We pickup our new 177 this Thursday but before we left the dealer the subject of adding a sway bar system came up with the dealer. Being new to the RV world and R-pod's I was wondering how many folks have this system for their rigs. Our TV is a 2012 Nissan Titan.
Given the amount of money we just put out for our R-pod I we are pretty tapped out right now to put out another $650 for the sway bar if it is not something we really need. The dealer/owner said that we really do not need it but it is good to have.
Carl & Sandee              2013 R 177               2012 Titan
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:04am
We have an anti-sway friction bar on our hitch assembly, and I would not do without it.  And they do not even come close to costing $650.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Beckster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:40am
Cabela's has a anti-sway bar (rated for a little higher than the r-pod weight) for around $50.  You have to get the "bar" welded to it but ...much better than $650. Also, check on Amazon they have some cheaper too.  I haven't gotten one yet but am seriously thinking about it even though our truck has "anti-sway" with it's wheel's, etc (don't ask me how it works, something about independent wheel braking, etc.).  We have never had a problem towing even with my smaller Rav-4 (in which case we should have had it - semi's passing weren't too bad but..) but it's better to be safe than sorry.
r&r-pod: Becky/Bob & Sophie & Coco
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:47am
With the weight and capacity of the Titan you probably don't really "need" an WDH, but I think the almost universal opinion in this forum is "you'll want it". It greatly improves the ride and your confidence. Check Amazon. The 6000/600 E2 runs $300 +/_. Add a hundred bucks for installation and you're still way under $650.

The E2 is easy to install and set up yourself, but you need a couple of large/long wrenches to apply the required 200 plus foot-pounds of torque. If you have these then it's easy. And everyone ought to go through the setup once to understand it and know it's done right. My dealer did it for me when I first bought the pod and it was way-way wrong. Fortunately I figured it out and fixed it before serious trouble.

Happy podding,

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 10:16am
I definitely recommend ant-sway, but a simple friction sway bar is perfectly fine for a trailer of an r-pod's weight.

I installed mine myself. It was $75 for the sway bar + $20 cash to have a local mechanic do a quick weld. The install was less than 30 minutes of labour - just drilling some holes in the tongue and ratcheting on some self-tapping bolts.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:26am
Thanks for the great information. I will start looking into all the recommendations. I knew $650 was bit too much to pay for something like this. I am not a penny pincher when it comes to stuff like this, but Sandee has taught me a long time ago never pay extra for something you do not need right away or might not need at all until you do the research. Basically no impulse buying, great advice from a great lady.
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Bartoncvn73

We pickup our new 177 this Thursday but before we left the dealer the subject of adding a sway bar system came up with the dealer. Being new to the RV world and R-pod's I was wondering how many folks have this system for their rigs. Our TV is a 2012 Nissan Titan.
Given the amount of money we just put out for our R-pod I we are pretty tapped out right now to put out another $650 for the sway bar if it is not something we really need. The dealer/owner said that we really do not need it but it is good to have.

I tow with a Nissan Pathfinder and do not have a sway bar or weight distributing hitch.

Things to consider:
Proper hitch ball height
Proper trailer loading (weight to front)
Proper tire inflation on TV and Trailer
No Water in tanks
Have a brake controller -- learn to drive with it. In case of sway, apply manual trailer brakes and NO vehicle brakes. That pulls back on the hitch and nips sway in the bud.
Take care in steering and don't be doing a lot of wild and crazy lane changing or running off the road.

I have no plans to add a sway bar.

I think your Titan is much heavier than my Pathfinder.

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
TRICERA-POD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:09pm
Thinker,
Thank you for the information. I do not have a brake controller, not sure how much these cost but it is something I will look into. For me multiple lane changes has never been an issue. I get into one lane and tend to stay in that lane and let life ( others) pass me by. I happen to think the more lane changes you make it is more likely you will cause/have and accident.
When we plan our trips with lots of sites to see, however it has never failed during our adventures to miss a few sites on our list as we run out of time. We just enjoy the moment and if we miss a site, it gives us another chance to travel to that area again.
Like you mentioned the Titian is much heavier and I think we will do ok. We pick up Tricera-Pod on Thursday so we will get our first chance to see how it handles.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:15pm
A brake controller is a must-have since it is your last-ditch method to remove sway if it begins to get out of control.  Some here have purchased the wirelss version of the Prodigy which is fairly easy to install.  At the least I would say get a sway bar.  WDH is less important for your rig.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by techntrek

A brake controller is a must-have since it is your last-ditch method to remove sway if it begins to get out of control.  Some here have purchased the wirelss version of the Prodigy which is fairly easy to install.  At the least I would say get a sway bar.  WDH is less important for your rig.

Also, trailer brakes are mandated for trailers exceeding 1500# in many states. You do need them, which requires a brake controller.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>