Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with a Honda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with a Honda
    Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:10am
Given the choice, I'd pick the Pilot over the Oydessy. Better clearance and driver seat height, better frame for towing, amongst other advantages.
Make sure the tow pkg has the complete wiring harness, with the 7 pin receptacle installed.

Sailing and camping Western Canada and US-NW
HPY CMPR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:24am
Thanks for your feedback....this has been stressing me out a bit thinking that the Odyssey is under powered.  Cant wait to get out of my Accord and back into something bigger.  Have never pulled anything before so a bit nervous but I have no problem driving big trucks or large SUV's.  Cant wait to get this done.  So now I am leaning towards the Pilot, thanks for helping me decide.
Ottawa Ontario Canada
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:55am
Tow ratings are not just based on horsepower. A lot of people get confused by that. There is a lot more to towing than "grunt". Wheelbase, frame design and structure, brake swept area, final drive gearing, etc. all are considered when the manufacturer comes up with it's rating.

If it was just about power, a Dodge Viper would be the ideal tow vehicle.. but most would recognize right off it isn't..
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by furpod

Tow ratings are not just based on horsepower. A lot of people get confused by that. There is a lot more to towing than "grunt". Wheelbase, frame design and structure, brake swept area, final drive gearing, etc. all are considered when the manufacturer comes up with it's rating.

If it was just about power, a Dodge Viper would be the ideal tow vehicle.. but most would recognize right off it isn't..
...Excellent response!
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
GaryRVer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 11:32pm
I used my 2005 Pilot to tow my 3400 lb Travel Trailer and it worked fine. I finally traded the Pilot in because I felt that I was stressing about my trailer weight  (i.e., not carrying any water) more than stressing about where I was going to fish. I error on the conservative side and subtract 2% of my tow capacity for every 1000 ft of elevation gain. That was limiting the passes in Colorado I could use. I tried to keep it under 10,000 ft. At 10,000 ft that is 20% or 700 lbs of lost towing capacity. Even if you figure that the pass is only a small amount of your trip so you take off 1% per 1,000 ft that is still 350 lbs. I guess what I am saying, if you want to travel everywhere, do not cut the tow capacity to close. I traded in my Pilot for a Tundra Pickup. With the towing package it is rated for 10,400 lbs. and it cruises up the Colorado passes.

Another note on the Odyssey, The hitch height is very low compared to the Pilot. My friends with an Odyssey tow a four canoe trailer and it will scrap the hitch on some driveways. And that trailer is only 400 to 600 lbs.

Gary
HPY CMPR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 11:45pm
Hi, thank you all for your posts.  I finally made a decision and ended up purchasing a 2014 Pathfinder.  It is rated for 5000 lb. and another Rpod family commented they had the 2013 and really liked it.   I pick up my vehicle tomorrow morning.  Cant wait to pick up my trailer now...if this snow ever leaves us.  I am in Ottawa ON and they are calling for 15 cm this weekend. (almost 6 inches). Yikes.  I am so envious reading about some of you already camping.

Ottawa Ontario Canada
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 12:50am
The Pathfinder sounds like a good choice...not too big, but plenty capable.

Happy podding.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Harry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 11:19am
Hi HPY CMPR

I have a 2013 176T with a 2013 Ridgeline as a TV.  We are well into our second season with both.  I have made the same discoveries as you re unloaded vs loaded engine performance and mileage.

Our home base is Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, and we make frequent trips to Prince Edward Island.

Nova Scotia is often very windy and is quite hilly, so towing anything gets quite challenging.  I travel with a WDH, which I found helps a lot with steering control in crosswinds.  The WDH brings the back end of the Ridgeline up about 3" when the torsion bars are installed.  This transfers weight to the front and improves power delivery and steering control.

I'm still experimenting to get better fuel economy.  I generally keep my speed at 95 kph, which helps a lot.  I have toyed with shutting off the overdrive, assuming this will reduce transmission shifts and momentum changes.

Overall this is a wonderful combination.  We love the 176, and plan to have it for a long time.  The Ridgeline (our second) is the most versatile and comfortable vehicle we have ever owned.  

Do you have any other suggestions to improve fuel consumption?

Thank you.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 12:09am
Welcome.  Locking out OD is usually necessary when towing.  Things I've done to improve fuel consumption include low-rolling-resistance tires and synthetic oil.  I've been experimenting with higher octane fuel on the trip I'm on right now, even though it isn't required in my TV.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Harry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 7:38am
Hi:

After doing further research (some on the Ridgeline Owner's Forum), I made some interesting discoveries about the Ridgeline.  First, it does not have an overdrive in the transmission.  Second, setting the D3 switch on the end of the transmission lever prevents the transmission from shifting past third, which means fourth and fifth gears don't get used.

I noticed that by using the D3 switch, the RPM's jump from 1800 at 100 kph to 2700.  Literally, a 50% increase.  So, doing this is very much a step away from economical driving.

The general advice when towing with a Ridgeline is to simply put it in "D" and let it figure out what it needs to do.  The Ridgeline's transmission has a feature called Grade Logic Control which not only operates the transmission at its optimum while towing, but it also downshifts on grades to assist braking.

Locking the transmission in D3 while towing for extended periods will cause transmission overheating, and, ultimately, failure.

As far as driving economically, and perhaps this might apply to any TV, is to simply drop the speed.  I've found that 90 to 95 kph cruising makes a big difference. 
2013 R-pod 176T
TV: 2013 Honda Ridgeline
3.5 L 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>