Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with a Honda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with a Honda
    Posted: 16 May 2013 at 7:01am
I am looking at a 2009 171 that weighs about 2425 dry ( with options ). My vehicle is an Odessey with tow package. I'll add a brake controller and improved rear shocks.

I would appreciate hearing experiences from drivers who have actually towed an RPOD with an Odessey. Since the Ridgeline and Pilot have nearly the same specs, if you have towed with either of those vehicles, I'd like to hear your experience also. Please include your model of TV and RPOD.

I know all the numbers. Looking for actual towing experiences.

Thanks.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:28am
I towed our Pod to the dealer and back once, about 60 miles round trip, with a friends Pilot, has the towing package. I don't actually know the geneology of the Pilot/Odessey/Ridgeline, but I know his is a first year Pilot.

I wasn't impressed with the Pilots ability to control the camper, and there is a pretty steep climb coming back. so I took the interstate up it, since it is the least steep of the 4-5 roads up in our area.. Was a struggle. The Pod was completely empty. 45mph, at +4k rpm for about 5 minutes..
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:22am
Hello jma24,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right spot. I spent several months lurking around this forum before I bought my 2013 172. Lots of good info, experience, and advice here.

My tow vehicle is a 2010 Honda 4WD Pilot. The 4WD version is rated at 4500 pounds towing capacity. The main driver in my selection of the 172 was weight. I was going to tow in Colorado, at 8000+ feet elevation, and wanted to be able to handle hills and mountain passes without walking alongside my pod and pushing.

The 172 is listed by FR at 2128# empty vs 2205 for the 171. With the normal extras such as A/C, microwave, risers and one empty propane bottle it came from the factory at 2407#. With a second propane bottle, full propane load, two batteries, the RDome, two bicycles, and a few gallons of fresh water for the road and it calculates out to 2742#. This would suggest your 171 might weigh around 2760# similarly equiped.

This suggests you will be OK with the Odessey which is rated at 3500# with fuel, one occupant (driver), and the towing package. From this 3500# you must subtract the estimated 2819# and any extra for people, luggage, stuff, and junk. It can add up.

However, this is a sea level. If you plan to tow above sea level the big hitter is the engine and cooling system loss of performance at altitude. The Honda book suggests derating the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) 2% per thousand feet. The GCWR is the total weight of the loaded trailer and the loaded tow vehicle. 2% of GCWR becomes a big number at 5000 feet and above because it includes the weight of the vehicle and trailer

All that said, I think you will be OK, but close to the limit, at sea level. All this is math. I have yet to try my rig at altitude, but I will soon. It may only mean I have to crawl up hills, but I've added a Scan Gauge to monitor transmission temperature and we'll see. But I'm starting with 1000# more in rated towing capacity with the 4WD Pilot.

A final thought: Get a weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) with sway control. I consider it essential for small SUVs nearing the towing limit. When properly adjusted it makes all the difference in comfort and safety. I have the E2 hitch from FastwayTrailer.com.

I hope this has not been too much talk (typing). We look forward to having you join us Podders on the forum and on the road.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 10:25am
Here is a review of towing with an Odessey The owner just got it so I don't know how much experience they have. 

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3365&KW=honda&PID=32132&title=about-to-pickup-a-2010-rpod-176t#32132
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:27pm
Welcome.  New shocks won't do anything, and you don't want to fall in the trap of adding stiffer springs (or McPherson struts if it has them).  As Charlie said, the only option for sag control is a WDH.  It solves multiple problems at one time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
wildflowerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:05pm
We towed our 171 with a 2012 Odyssey.  We did have a transmission cooler installed under the recommendation of our r pod dealer.  We also had the weight distribution hitch with sway control.  We have taken trips to New York and Florida with no problems.Smile
GA_RPOD_178 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 9:18pm
Have a 13 Ridgeline, which I'm told is based on the Pilot frame.  The manual recommends against the WDH on this vehicle saying it could cause stability issues.  Not sure if that's true.  Has anyone used a WDH with a Ridgeline?  Towing a new 178.
[/URL]
HPY CMPR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 4:30pm
Hi, I am considering getting a 2014 Honda Odyssey., to tow my 178.  I am concerned with the 3500 towing capacity of the Odyssey.  I see that you wrote your message at the beginning of the season so just wondering how the rest of the summer was with towing your Pod.  I am also considering the Pilot.
Thanks
Ottawa Ontario Canada
Bred Flink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:10pm
Yesterday, Towed my new 178 with my 2007 ridgeline (240,000 km on odometer) about 100 kms (65 miles ) from the dealers to my home.
 Have previously towed a sailboat about same weight and slightly longer, but with surge brakes, so I know how this truck handles under load.

With no load, my rpm is just under 2,000 at 100 KPH ( 60MPH) , with the trailer on the hitch, rpm is about 2700. I am in calgary alberta, elevation 3300 ft above sea level. I've towed large sailboats and never used WDH or surge bars. I have towed over the Rocky Mountains and in very windy areas. The electric brakes add a huge element of safety and control.

IMHO, your Odyssey will be just fine. Install a good electric trailer brake, make sure your engine oil is clean and your Honda will take care of you. There are better tow vehicles than the odyssey, but there is nothing wrong with it. If that's what I had, that's what I'd use and I'd use it with confidence. 
Having driven everything from tractors to BMWs, I think Honda is the best dollar for dollar vehicle manufacturer in North America. Drive the speed limit when you tow and expect to go slow uphill. If you need to drive fast and keep pace with traffic on inclines, then go our and buy a 2500 series diesel pick up.

Sailing and camping Western Canada and US-NW
HPY CMPR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:00am
Thanks, I have not purchased my Odyssey yet., it is rated at 3500 lbs so now I am considering the Pilot at 4500 lbs.  What I don't understand is Honda says they are the same under the hood yet the Pilot can tow more.  This makes no sense to me.  I want to tow a 178 Rpod

Ottawa Ontario Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>