Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with a Honda
    Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 1:40pm
That's a problem I've been praying I wouldn't have to figure out on our last 2 big trips.  Especially on those 2-3 hours stretches where there are no service stations or cell phone service.
I almost did have a major problem last year when we were 1000 miles from home and I found a huge puddle of oil under the truck, on a Saturday.  Thought my pan was cracked and we'd have to spend 4 days waiting around for the part and fix, although it wouldn't have been terrible since we were just outside of New Orleans.  Turns out it was just a lose oil filter.  BIG alleluia on that discovery!  Plus the dealer I limped it to only charged me for 2 quarts of oil and had us in-out in 30 minutes.  They would have my biz for life if they were local.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 12:57pm
Oh yeah BTDT with manifold coolant gasket on Ford 4.0 V6 in a 98 Mazda Pickup.  Luckily FelPro came out with a much improved gasket set to hopefully stop the problem from re-occuring.   Son is still driving it at 255,000+ miles.
Did all the work myself, except for machine shop time to mill heads flat (it had been overheated) and do a valve job while I had them off.   Still cost me $800

Speaking of lucky- we got home from a 5,000 mile trip out west and back with our 86 Ford Club Wagon and Coleman Popup back about 1990...trans went out 2 days later.   Often wondered what I would have done if it had been 2-3 days earlier especially with two small children.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 12:38pm
I had a similar experience with Chevy.  In the late 90's/early 00's they used a 6-cylinder in multiple products, I had a Venture.  On all the engines at around 60,000 miles the lower intake manifold gasket would rupture internally, sucking all of your coolant into the oil without a drop on the ground to give you warning.  I happened to check my fluids within a day or two of it happening to us, so I was able to get ours fixed before the engine self-destructed (which is how most people found out).  Didn't do us much good, it threw a rod at 94,000 while pulling our popup home.  At least it happened a half-hour from home instead of 3 1/2 hours away.

I think the replacement gasket cost me $800+, most of that labor since the engine had to be basically pulled.  It was easy to figure out this was a problem across the engine line with a few searches on the internet showing thousands of complaints, but GM never had a recall.

Counterpoint for Toyota, we bought a used Sienna to replace that Venture and the transmission developed a fairly minor problem (stuck relay) not long after we bought it.  They replaced the whole thing under warranty, at their insistance.  I figured they would just open it up and replace the relay.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 10:31am
As a counterpoint-  I had a 2003 Pilot that developed trans trouble at 80,000 mi.  Changed fluid more often that recommended and never towed anything over 1000 lbs and I had the trailer tow package!
Now Honda knew there were issues with this trans in 2002-2003 Odyssey's and Pilot's.    They even had a "recall" to add a jet to cool an overheating gear.
Didn't matter, thousands of these transmissions failed early.  They wouldn't help other than to say give us $4000 and we'll put in another just like it that will also fail!
Had an Accord before that they extended the warranty to 100,000 miles because the transmissions were failing.    Big sign- get rid of the car before 100,000!
My dad had an Odyssey of the same vintage that was on it's third transmission... he didn't keep it long after the warranty expired.

So-  I'm done with Honda.   They use a transmission design unlike anyone else's and have too many issues for an otherwise superb line of vehicles for me to risk it again.

I've never understood why transmission design has lagged engine design.  I've never lost an engine but I have bought several transmissions over the years.....
2014 179
wildfire305 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 10:04am
Honda is a lot like apple. I've had things fixed on the van that I couldn't do myself any cheaper just buying the part. Flat rate I guess. And proprietary computer codes so only factory authorized places can fix it. But they have always been proactive about warranty work because they know only they work on the car. I have never had to say "isn't that covered by the warranty?". I have picked up the car and been presented, unexpectedly, with a bill for $0 because they found a way to warranty it. Mind you this is on the second owner factory certified four year extended warranty. I bought the car used. Most dealers' extended warranty stuff is totally BS with high deductibles, but not Honda. Okay, done having my fanboy moment. I probably won't get to know the transmission temperature unless I put an in line analog gauge in.
2005 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8
OLD Tow Vehicle 2004 Honda Odyssey
2015 RP179 "73b"
OLD 2005 Viking Saga 2480ST popup
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 8:45am
I checked the Interceptor website and they don't support Honda at all, due to the manufacturer-specific codes.  Unfortunate - we have an onboard network across all brands but one brand doesn't want to play ball.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by wildfire305

The company that makes scangauge said that the transmission temperature was not available in my 2004 Odyssey.

I think they are correct for the Odyssey. "Transmission Temperature is a manufacturer specific PID" and doesn't appear to have been discovered.

The Toyota forums are really active with this stuff. Looks like for Torque (Android) or Engine Link (iPhone), the following will work for 4Runners or Tacomas from 99 forward to 2014. At least that's what I understand...

This for the transmission pan temp:

Header: 0
PID: 21D9
formula: ((((E*256)+F) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
Min value: 0
Max value: 300
Name: Trans Fluid Temp 1 (...or whatever you want to call it)
Unit factor: °F

This one for the converter outlet temp:

Header: 0
PID: 21D9
formula: ((((G*256)+H) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
Min value: 0
Max value: 300
Name: Trans Fluid Temp 2 (again, whatever you want to call it)
Unit factor: °F

I ordered a Elm327 WIFI Wireless OBD2 Scanner so should be able to confirm those codes (for Toyota) in a couple of days.

Good luck with Odyssey.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Puck Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 6:37pm
We picked up our 178 in June and it has been on four trips behind our Rav4 V6 Rated 3500. We use a WDH with sway bars. It works ok but just bought a GMC Sierra so I can relax and just go. Plenty of power and mental peace. Want to hit the coast and mtns so now it is possible with no white knuckles.
Rick & Wilma
'Hairy' Gracie
2015 178
GMC Sierra
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 6:09pm
The ScanGauge company doesn't always know what the individual autos provide. On my Toyota, and as I remember the Pilot too, I had to get the info from the Tacoma and Pilot user forums. Do a search for the forums, then search them for ScanGauge and/or transmission temperature.  
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 5:49pm
They say that on my Toyota also-  but I found a way with the Torque android app and some smart people on a forum that figured out the sensors and shared the info Big smile

2014 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>