Topic Closedpont montana/chev venture as TV for a 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dsmiths View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: pont montana/chev venture as TV for a 177
    Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:03pm
Your right Techntrek, as a A C Delco tech shop owner we do a lot of 3400 and 3100 lower intakes on General Motors vehicles, seems like they like to fail around 80K to 120 K. it is a good engine but the lower intake is a weakness. Pay strict attention to the health of your cooling system no matter what make. Most Modern Car producers want to stress "no maintenance" you have to service the cooling system sooner than they recommend. G.M. had a problem with DEXCOOL, they said run it till 100,000 miles. no way folks, change it every 30K to 50K or its going to cost you. Also change that fuel filter every 30k miles period. If you can find it, run a can of BG 44K through the tank it will make a big difference. Common sense rules, take care of your TV and it will take care of you.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 5:35pm

Welcome.

As mentioned in my email earlier, I had a Venture.  There was a massive problem with the lower coolant gasket (I forget the exact technical name) on that engine, where they always failed under 100,000 miles.  I read of tons of examples online and talked to others who had that engine in their car or minivan.  When it fails it dumps the entire contents of your coolant system into the oil.  If you are lucky you catch it right away - the oil will look like chocolate milk - and pay a ton to get the gasket fixed, only to have the engine fail soon after because the damage was done.  If you aren't lucky the engine detonates right away.  Ours failed somewhere over 90,000 miles, we had it repaired, and then it threw a rod around 97,000 while towing our popup home from the beach.  Happily we were fairly close to home.

The Venture/Montana is good for controlling sway since the ball is close to the rear axle.  It had enough power to pull our popup which was heavier than the pod, but the Sienna we used to pull our pod was underpowered under certain conditions - air resistance trumps weight - so there is no way I would pull a pod with a Venture/Montana.  You might get away with it on back roads where you stay below 55, but on big hills I would be worried.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ontheroadagain2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 5:17pm
Ouch We are just at the decision point.  Vehicle is 2002 montana with 20,000 miles on it.  Would like some honest feedback on using this in the blackhills for starters. Thanks
'04 Americamp M 270RKS 5er @ seasonal site
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12