R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed176t mattress topper storage question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 176t mattress topper storage question
    Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 8:45am
We are awaiting delivery of our new 176T. From reading other posts, we are definitely planning on getting a mattress topper. Question for other "T" model owners: can you keep the topper on when you fold up the tent end, or does it have to come off each time? thanks!
jjkd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 10:20am
I don't think it would be easy to try to keep the topper on when folding things up.  The regular mattress is akward enough, two pieces would be tough.  In our 172T, we have our topper in a duvet cover, roll it up and fasten with two luggage straps to keep it tightly rolled, then stow it on the opposite top bunk.
--
Joe Kyle
--jjkd--
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 9:33pm
Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToddLat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:41pm
We used a foam topper last year and had to remove it to fold up the tent.  This year, new mattress alltogether.  Going IKEA!!!  The FR mattress is not the greatest and you will feel the steel hinge in your back at night. 

Lovin the 176T

Todd
Todd and Beth
2013 RP 176 T
2013 Nissan Pathfinder
HappyCampers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 9:16pm
wow! I'm intrigued. I had assumed that since the tent bed mattress folded in half, you were kind of stuck with it. Is there really an IKEA mattress that is more comfortable than the one that comes with the 176T that fits the space and that folds as needed to fit? Would you mind sharing which mattress, and which size (full or queen)? Thanks so much!
ToddLat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:36am
The mattress we got is the
LYCKSELE LÖVÅS sofa bed mattress.  It measures:

width: 55 1/8 "
length: 74 "

A bit narrow for the tent but it does fold and is more comfortable than the FR mattress with a topper.  We find that the extra blanketing gathers between the tent and mattress anyhow and it all works out just fine.  Also makes it easier to put the sheets on!
Todd and Beth
2013 RP 176 T
2013 Nissan Pathfinder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 8:02pm
thanks so much for this information. I've written the mattress name down and will check it out next time we're art IKEA.

We actually picked our R-pod up on Friday - woo boo! I want to check with other tent model owners to make sure we're folding it up correctly, so that it stows as efficiently as possible. we leave the mattress on as is, and when folding, try to make sure that the frame closes up and the fabric is as smooth as possible. we saw a post that suggested using a bungee cord to wrangle the tent material in place. any other tips for minimizing the amount of space the tent takes up when the tent is not "deployed"?

Thanks in advance!
waynemaw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 11:53am
So we were just out for our first full night in our new 176T and two things I could use help on.  1st is the fact that it poured and was in the low 50's.  My guess is what was dripping on my head was condensation and not the tent leaking but I'm not 100% sure.  The whole thing was closed up tight and we had 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs, so that is why Im guessing condensation.  Any other suggestions for this issue?  The second was the moment I turned on the heater figuring I would try to dry things out in the pod the smoke alarm started going off.  I had to turn the heat off to make it stop.  This was the first time I had ever turned the heater on so my guess is was burning off whatever may have been on the coils.  Let me know if anyone has any suggestions for this issue.

Now to a more different topic.  We went to Target and got the 3" Fieldcrest Luxury Memory Foam  and its absolutely awesome.  It still lets us fold the mattress and use the dinette during the day.  It is the right width but 4 inches longer than the factory mattress.  We put both the FR mattress and the new addition in the case that comes with the Target mattress and together it makes one great mattress.

Hopefully the weather improves over the weekend!  Everyone enjoy and be safe over this Memorial Day.

Wayne
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 11:30pm

Yes, likely it was condensation.  Inside most have found they need to keep the vent and a window or two cracked open to prevent condensation issues on the windows and walls.  The same could happen in the Dome too.

Yes, you were burning off construction residue on the furnace.  Open up your windows and fire it up for 10-15 minutes and you'll be fine after that.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 10:30pm
Waynemaw,  We just turned on the heater of our new 176T yesterday, and experienced the same thing you did - I was really surprised at how immediately the smoke alarm went on.  Techntrek, thanks for letting us know that it is to be expected.  We assumed so, but still, it was unsettling.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure no actual smoke is getting through THAT alarm!

Waynemaw,  Are you saying that you are able to fold up the mattress that is there AND the topper you mention, and still have usable seating in the dining area with the tent closed?  We don't have a topper and the tent seems to be overtaking the dining area, so any tips you have about reigning it in would be much appreciated.  Specifically, do you un-do the velcro, zippers, etc. before you fold up the tent, or just fold the mattress in half and keep everything else as-is?  Thanks so much.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>