R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-POD 172 spare tire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-POD 172 spare tire
    Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 11:19am
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

2lane roads View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 5:17pm
Thanks for the tip.
There is no "X" in ESPRESSO.
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 5:40pm
Thanks, I'm stealing that photo and adding it to my online pod reference folder! The sticker on mine is gone, but the good news is the capacity is more than I remembered.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
CaperPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 1:29pm

Based on this weight limitation, I shouldn't have any issues with this bike rack and 2 mountain bikes? The rack is 28 pounds. Not sure what the weight of the bikes are but should not exceed the 250lbs

Don, Mimi, & Nola the Goldendoodle
2013 RPod 177 (CachePod)
2013 F-150 4x4
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 12:13pm
I think that you can purchase a bike rack that fits over an exterior spare tire. I think that if the receiver is rated at 250#, one could conceivably carry the bikes and the spare on the back and be within the 250# range. Any thoughts out there???
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 12:59pm
I would recommend against putting both bikes and tire on the rear bumper. First, the bikes get a hell of a whipping back there on their own mount; even worse on the tire. Second, any weight added to the rear subtracts from the tongue weight. Especially with a WDH you're not apt to have a problem with too much tongue weight, but too little can cause problems.

So two options: Put the tire on the tongue and the bikes on the back, or leave the tire on the back and put the bikes between the trailer and the TV. Right now I have the bikes on the back with the FR recommended carrier and the tire on the tongue (see post referenced above).

However, Swagman makes a version of their platform carrier, #64664, which goes on the WDH shank between TT and TV. An extended shank is probably be necessary. Then the tire can either stay on the rear bumper or move to the tongue.
The less weight and length on the rear bumper the better. This also has the advantage that the bikes can be hauled when the trailer is left at the campsite.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 2:44pm
Adding any extension to the hitch cuts the max tongue capacity of the hitch in half.  All about leverage.  So you end up with the ability to carry just the bikes, making the ball itelf useless for towing anything.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by yellowstonestu

I think that you can purchase a bike rack that fits over an exterior spare tire. I think that if the receiver is rated at 250#, one could conceivably carry the bikes and the spare on the back and be within the 250# range. Any thoughts out there???

I looked at several "over the spare" bicycle carriers not too long ago and decided not to buy one.  I was not concerned too much about the added weight to the back of the trailer, but noticed that typically the tires of the bikes hang below the bottom of the spare, close to the pavement. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Adding any extension to the hitch cuts the max tongue capacity of the hitch in half.  All about leverage.  So you end up with the ability to carry just the bikes, making the ball itelf useless for towing anything.

Doug,

Your comments are correct in principle, but the effects depend on how and how much the extension is applied. I am talking about a 16 inch shank instead of the normal 12 inch shank; an extension of 4 inches using a shank specifically designed by the hitch manufacturer. The Swagman carrier needs 3 inches clear on the shank and I have 1.5 with the 12 inch shank. If I could have found a 14 inch shank I would have gone with it.

The shanks are rated at 1400# tongue weight and the lever arm extension from the rear axle of the TV is insignificant, so the real consideration becomes the receiver itself. A class III hitch is rated at 600# tow weight and the normal shank puts the ball 11” from the face of the receiver on my Honda. Adding 4” to this yields a degradation of 1.36 (14/11) or 79% of the original #600 rating. The resulting 474# is still within the tongue weight rating of the Honda and less than the measured TW of the Pod. And it still leaves room for the weight of the bikes. BTW, I’m considering an upgraded TV which will have a class IV receiver.

I agree that trouble can be had with some methods of hitch extension, if taken to extremes, but I question the blanket statement that any extension automatically cuts the capacity in half. If that were so Progress Mfg. (E2), Curt, etc. would never sell longer shanks.

I’d appreciate your thoughts and any holes you may find in my analysis,

Charlie

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 4:44pm
My current set-up consists of the spare in the truck and the $65 Allen bike rack from Walmart on the back.  My son followed me a while back for about 300 miles; said bikes barely moved; minimal to no bouncing.  Also said  POD didn't sway an inch, tracked perectly.  That's what I always thought, but it was nice having someone observe.  I don't use any special hitches, straight to the ball and hook up the chains.  Hey charlie, I see you mentioned  in another post something about your Florida mountains!!!!!!  I new you had them.Big smile
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>