R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLED Bulbs ad nauseam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Bulbs ad nauseam
    Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:55am
Thank you for your service furpod !
GaRedneck81
USN Retired
RP-172
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:59am
wow 3 hours a day of light use?

i imagine ours are on maybe 20 minutes a day and that's usually just 1 light as we're getting ready for bed.
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 12:43pm
We have a single Mighty Bright Navigation Light that has a red head and a white head.  We love the red light for stumbling around at night in the pod when the other is asleep.  Sadly I think they discontinued it because most people wouldn't know what to do with a red light.

We got ours at Ocean State Job Lot a few years back for about $5 and should've bought more then.  I think there may still be some to be found on the internet.

Edit:
The navigation light seems to have been re-marketed as a Pedalboard light for musicians.  Plus, they've also come out with a 2 LED red usb light too.

We use the Nav Light with the adaptor and magnetic stand accessory on out metal backsplash as additional task lighting and like it better than our old LED puck lights from Rite Lite

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 6:53pm
Welcome, Anthony.  Good info on LEDs.  One of my headlamps has a red LED which I use occasionally.  I would consider putting one in the rear fixture - I removed one of the bulbs from it already and use it at night when we come in after the kids are asleep (or supposed to be) up front.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:20pm
I changed all my lights inside and out to LEDs 2 1/2 years ago, I would not go back to the hot incandesent bulbs to much power and heat. In total I used 9' of LED light strips, powercons. 10.8 watts.
As for a nightlight I used a strip with 3 LEDs and build it in under my step to get into the top bunk.

Powercons. 0.2 watts
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:52am
I love that night light! 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Anthony Valenzano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 9:39am
LED Strips lights are a smart way to go - they disperse the power over a lot of area and therefore don't get very hot.  They are also fairly inexpensive.  What did you do with the regular fixtures?
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:47am
LED bulbs I used ( 1.7 watts)

Striplight 1.2 watts per foot (18 LEDs per foot)

Marker lights 0.2 watts

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

k4fcp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 11:58am
I'm not an engineer, but I have been doing solar powered camping for 12-14 years.  I've never had any heat related failures with LED's and I have never had to purchase a base for "LED's only".  I have seen problems when people remove (or disconnect) batteries from their coaches as the battery in your trailer functions as a voltage regulator.  However, the only place I buy my LED bulbs is from superbright LED's and, again, no worries...ever.  I'm new to the R-Pod family, but I did do a "How to Solar Power Your Casita" that I still get requests for.  I would be more than happy to do the same for R-Podders........it's even easier and cheaper these days.
Rich
2013 R-177
2013 Ford F 150 4X4
(yeah, bought a new truck)!
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 2:04pm
K4FCP:

Thanks for your LED response and post.  Like you, I have been messing with LED's for a long time and know superbrightleds.com well.  I have also used DHgate.  We changed out all ours as well and it was easy.  We did the markers and the whole shebang.

The biggest motivator to change to LED's in a POD is to put your hand on that porch light with the incandescent in it.  You could fry an egg on that puppy!

Another use I have made for PODding with LED's is to take a Homer Bucket, an opaque one gallon plastic jug and an 18 foot string of LED's from Home Depot.  Put the string into the one gallon jug leaving the plug tail out.  You can use that in itself as a magnificent brighter white light anywhere inside or outside your POD.

But wait, there's more!  Then put the one gallon jug into An Orange Homer bucket from Home Depot and cut a hole in the top for the plug in it from the one gallon jug in it.  It makes a super nice porch light, kind of looks like a pumpkin color and lights up and RDome nicely.

Yet, there is even more.  Using a circuit for 2 led's I put a red led and a white LED into a piece of  1"PVC, made an angled cover to protect the bulbs, put a 9V battery into it, some drop down resistors and 2 switches, one red, one white.  Now you have an inside or outside flashlight that will last you forever.   The red one is great for nighttime potty visits so as not to bother anybody else aboard.  The white is very useful for looking into the dark spaces of cupboards...all in one unit.

If you don't want to build the circuit, just take any old flashlight, go to a Radio Shack, get a "Giant Red LED, crush the frame on a standard incandescent bulb, drill a hole in the soldered bottom of it and then solder the correct leads, one to the side, one through the hole you drilled and, incidentally, no drop-down resister required for this one.  However, it is only a RED LED.  It will last forever as a nightlight.

We used the 2 light LED flashlights on a sailboat going to Alaska 7 years ago and I made 3 of them for the other 2 on board.  They are still using them.

I noticed you are a HAM and I am as well.  I got to go to Alaska principally because I am a HAM and they wanted to call home when we were anchored at night.  We did.

Burt, N7OW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>