Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time on the road
    Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 9:54pm
+1
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
morningstarrising View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 7:04pm
My wife and I also purchased a 178 6 weeks ago and have been on the road since then and plan God Willing to stay here fro a while. We reduced down so we thought to the bare minimums and still need to carry less with us as in maybe one suitcase in our truck so you have room for your necessities "Not Much" in the trailer. We found the mattres to be just horrible and it won't hold up long term Meaning 6 months. The kitchen table wobbles and I can't seem to see how to fix that and the railing where you sit you rear comes apart like it is only tacked in like upolstery. Done very poorly and not for long term. The Heat and Air work pretty good as well as it pulls behind our truck like very very good. Anybody out there who can add to my concerns is very much appreciated.

We are so very Blessed to be able to be on the road permanetely and are Not murmuring just sharing some concerns with you R-pod owners. Have a Great Day and may He Bless you All with His Light.

Sincerely,

Mark & Cariol James

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 7:15pm
Yes Amen on the Proton beam therapy. Also on the rdome can you tell us how easy it goes up and is taken down and will it hold up in the wind say 30-40 miles per hour. Does anyone know of other options? We are looking for the added space also and would like a secure area for our puppy who is expanding quite suddenly or the trailer is shinking.

Be Blessed as you are being though about in my prayers here is So. Ca. for a healthy procedure and distruction of All foreign matter.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 7:34pm
The edge on the seats seems to have given many of us trouble.  I replaced the wood screws with machine screws with washers and nuts so it stays put.  Our table doesn't wobble at all, and I think we were blessed with the only good mattress FR ever put in a pod.  We have no complaints about that at all.

We did have to pare down our belongings when we travel, and it took a few trips to see what we really needed.  And we also put a bag or two in the truck.

We didn't get the R-dome so can't help with that, but i have seen them up and wouldn't think it would keep a puppy secure for any length of time at all!  Even an old dog could escape if he wanted to, and puppies are far to active to stick around without walls.

You will learn how to best use your pod in short order. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 7:46pm
Thank you Keith-n-dar How is it you have a good mattress? Can you point us to a good buy on  NEW ONE? Thanks again!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 9:13pm
Ours is the one that was in the Pod when we got it (new).  Can't help you with that.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 7:55am
Well we have been in the RPug for a week,,,haven't broken our record yet of 11 days. Knowing that we were planning to be in our little home for a long time, we made some modifications to make things a little less cramped. We put up a shelf system on the wall to the left of the bathroom door. It holds little things like pill bottles, matches, small flashlights. It works great! Before we headed out, we also replaced the flimsy bench guards with wooden ones. Very sturdy, such a difference! Once we set up here in Jacksonville, we realized we wanted less clutter on our small counter space, so we found a two tier wire shelf and mounted that on the left wall of the kitchenette. And since we are here for a while, we replaced our tiny old TV with a nice flat 24 inch TV and it sits on our table. The RDome is wonderful for all that extra space. We bought a plastic container that locks. we leave it in the RDome and we put bulky things like pretzel bags. The campground is wonderful. We are indeed the tiniest RV in it. Many of the residents are full time and they have big Class A's and Fifth Wheels. So we are quite the oddity. We fit nicely into their smallest lot toward the back of the campground, along side a pond and a path through the woods. We really like it, except for the fact that the WiFi is spotty. But we are dealing with that. As for the reason we are here, Proton Therapy, we can't say enough good things about the University of Florida Proton Therapy facility. So this chapter in our lives is turning into quite a positive one!
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:05am
Oh, RDome question from morningstarrising... The RDome works wonderfully, but it does have some problems. We were in Orlando on a large concrete pad,,,no staking there. The wind came up one night and blew the RDome up and over the Pod! Amazingly, there was no damage. So now we stake it down. But with any awning,,,winds 30-40 mph...most people put their awnings away. And if we were anticipating such a condition,,,we would choose NOT to put up the RDome. While we are here for two months,,,we will probably choose to really stake it down as securely as possible, but we are also tucked into a protected area so it hopefully will not be an issue. We sewed a cloth like rope, (for pulling electrical wires through a conduit) onto each end of the plastic ridge of the Dome. We first spritz the Dome channel with silicon and then one of us pushes and the other pulls on the rope and it goes up very smoothly.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 2:02pm
One option for areas where you can't stake out, is water bags or sand bags.  Probably only need two permanent sand bags, but then you have to lug them around.  Water bags you can empty between trips.  I've seen them specifically designed for tent tie-downs but I can't find any one line right now.

I hope all goes well with the proton therapy!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tango287 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 10:26pm
As far as mattress comfort, we bought a Memory Foam 3" mattress topper. We use this at our cabin as well and it makes a great difference. We got ours at Kohls but you can find them at a lot of different home goods stores. Pleasant Dreams!Smile

Tom, Rita & Jer
Tom, Rita & Jerry
RPod 178
2013 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>