R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace and AC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace and AC
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 11:13am
Question from a newbie, is the furnace and ac run off electricity or propane?

This is a great forum I have been able to get lots of great information
2013 grand caravan
2010 176t pod
Wife, 2 boys, and golden retriever. Can life get any better
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 12:27pm
The furnace runs on propane, but does require the 12 volt system for control and ignition. The 12 volts comes from the battery if you are not plugged in. The AC only runs on 120 volt electricity from an external source such as campground power or a generator. The same is true of the microwave oven.

Happy Podding
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 8:10pm

... also true of the electric element in the water heater.  The propane side of the water heater needs a 12 volt source for ignition.  Also keep in mind that the furnace sucks down propane and amps from the battery if you are off grid. 

The fridge will run from 12 volts, propane or AC.  Only use the 12 volts while towing IF you are sure you have a large charge line coming from your TV - if you stop for lunch longer than an hour you'll want to turn it off or switch to propane because it will kill a battery quickly otherwise.  The propane mode still requires 12 volts for the circuit board but it sips propane.  You can go a month on one full tank (if you don't use propane for the stove or furnace).  Personally I've always taken advantage of the 12 volt option on my campers while towing, but with the electronic ignition on the pod's fridge I'm starting to get a little lazy and only use the propane on the road.  No worrying about long stops, etc.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 8:53pm
Techntrek is right on. the furnace is propane but needs 12 volts for ignition and blower operation. I use propane for the fridge while enroute. I have been told its dangerous to have the fridge on propane instead of 12 volts when towing due to the possibilty of being in an accident and having a gas leak. My tank and i assume others has a limiting valve to protect in case of a severed line etc. there is very low gas flow in case of an open valve or severed gas line. P.S. at least if it catches on fire it is behind me. If it does catch on fire and burn up (no one hurt please) I will be getting a new RP-177, I like the slide, the queen in the rear and the dinette in front.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Rugby8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 9:42pm
Thanks very much for the info
2013 grand caravan
2010 176t pod
Wife, 2 boys, and golden retriever. Can life get any better
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by dsmiths

I have been told its dangerous to have the fridge on propane instead of 12 volts when towing due to the possibilty of being in an accident and having a gas leak.

Although it is true that 12v is safer than propane in event of an accident, there is very low risk of any propane explosion during an accident and it is perfectly legal to travel with the fridge on propane (with some exceptions for tunnels, ferries and some bridges).  Always turn off all propane appliances while filling your vehicle's gas tank.  Of note: many larger RVs with larger fridges do not have a 12v option and must operate on propane while travelling.

As always, check your local laws and use your best judgement at all times. 
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
gappman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:11am
FYI...I tested the fridge using 12 volt only and it ran for 8 hours on a single battery before depleting.
Gary Piazza
www.garypiazza.com
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by gappman

FYI...I tested the fridge using 12 volt only and it ran for 8 hours on a single battery before depleting.

Was the fridge pre cooled, or did you start from a warm box, and was it full or empty? A full precooled fridge will only cycle so often, rather than running full time when trying to cool a bunch of warm stuff..
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 8:51am

A suggestion for battery longevity, don't run a lead-acid battery to 0% state-of-charge.  Most of the time you want to stay above 50% SOC, occasionally you can go down to 30%, but 0% will kill it after a dozen times.  Use the 50% point most of the time and it will last you for 5-7 years if you also keep it charged.

General rule of thumb, make sure it is completely disconnected from the pod between trips, but reconnect it and plug the pod it to charge it overnight at least once a month over the summer.  If it gets cold where you live you can go with once every 2-3 months in the winter.  All you ever wanted to know about lead acid batteries:  http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Deep_Cycle.htm
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
gappman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 1:25pm
The fridge was all ready cooled when I started.
Gary Piazza
www.garypiazza.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>