R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace and AC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace and AC
    Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:36pm
I don't know that this is the case, but the furnace fan may work only on 12v power.  You didn't disconnect your battery while you were on 120 shore power did you?  My theory is that shore power would keep your battery charged and therefore the furnace blower would keep going but the actual juice for the fan might be pure 12v.  If that's the case, the fan wouldn't work and the furnace wouldn't ignite if you disconnected the battery for some reason.  I don't know why anyone would do that though.  Maybe they'd figure they had shore power, didn't need the battery, so they took the battery out to use on the boat....  WAG.

TT
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:00pm
Everything 110 related worked fine - that is the microwave, tv, radio.  I did check the fuse for the furnace and it was fine as well.  Thanks for the tip.  Guess I will take it to my rpod dealerSmile
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 10:49pm
The furnace should work on both 12 volts and 110. the pods internal battery charger keeps the battery charged when plugged into 110. there is nothing to switch or change. I can't understand why it would not work while you were plugged into an outside 110 volt source. did the interior lights work ? did other electrical items work ? there is a possibility the breaker on the 110 source was tripped and the battery voltage was too low to function the furnance igniter.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 9:21pm
I just returned from a fishing trip on the Upper Arkansas river in Colorado.  I could not get my furnace to work on 110 volt shore power.  When I returned home, I checked it on battery only out of curousity and it worked.  Should the furnace also work on 110?
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
gappman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 1:25pm
The fridge was all ready cooled when I started.
Gary Piazza
www.garypiazza.com
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 8:51am

A suggestion for battery longevity, don't run a lead-acid battery to 0% state-of-charge.  Most of the time you want to stay above 50% SOC, occasionally you can go down to 30%, but 0% will kill it after a dozen times.  Use the 50% point most of the time and it will last you for 5-7 years if you also keep it charged.

General rule of thumb, make sure it is completely disconnected from the pod between trips, but reconnect it and plug the pod it to charge it overnight at least once a month over the summer.  If it gets cold where you live you can go with once every 2-3 months in the winter.  All you ever wanted to know about lead acid batteries:  http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Deep_Cycle.htm
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by gappman

FYI...I tested the fridge using 12 volt only and it ran for 8 hours on a single battery before depleting.

Was the fridge pre cooled, or did you start from a warm box, and was it full or empty? A full precooled fridge will only cycle so often, rather than running full time when trying to cool a bunch of warm stuff..
gappman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:11am
FYI...I tested the fridge using 12 volt only and it ran for 8 hours on a single battery before depleting.
Gary Piazza
www.garypiazza.com
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by dsmiths

I have been told its dangerous to have the fridge on propane instead of 12 volts when towing due to the possibilty of being in an accident and having a gas leak.

Although it is true that 12v is safer than propane in event of an accident, there is very low risk of any propane explosion during an accident and it is perfectly legal to travel with the fridge on propane (with some exceptions for tunnels, ferries and some bridges).  Always turn off all propane appliances while filling your vehicle's gas tank.  Of note: many larger RVs with larger fridges do not have a 12v option and must operate on propane while travelling.

As always, check your local laws and use your best judgement at all times. 
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Rugby8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 9:42pm
Thanks very much for the info
2013 grand caravan
2010 176t pod
Wife, 2 boys, and golden retriever. Can life get any better
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>