R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome: Yea or Nay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome: Yea or Nay
    Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 11:29am
It depends...

If the weather's nice or if its a one or two night stay, I won't use the dome and instead use a small awning that takes 5 minutes to put up.

If is cold or rainy and we're camping with 6-8 friends and will need someplace to gather, then I'll put up the dome.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 1:46pm
We do the same as Outbound.  Most weekends it stays in the bag and two EZ-ups work fine.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by coopercdrkey

virtually no vegetation, (other than grass), to help
block the wind.  That night a front rolled through, and I ended up taking the R-Dome down for its own
protection.

Reminds me of one of the few times we used ours: we were camping in Yellowstone and a gust came by an FLIPPED IT OVER THE ROOF. Luckily no damage, but we didn't use it the rest of the trip because of the wind.
EmptyNesters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 1:41pm
Thanks everyone, we went ahead and ordered the R-Dome as well as the bike rack and axle lifter for our R-Pod. I can hardly wait until it arrives in late April.Star We had a combo awning and screen room on our pop-up years ago but when we upgraded to a large travel trailer we went without and I have always missed that outdoor area. 

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:16pm
We love the dome.. in fact we had a sticker made up that says:

The Dome is Home..

We are currently looking at a slightly larger TT, and one of the MAIN problems we have with it is... no dome.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:06pm
+1,furpod

I actually like the Visa concept, plus the "next size" FR, (I forget the model name), primarily because of the 
walk-around queen beds.  BUT the R-Dome is our reason for getting back into this stuff!  
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by EmptyNesters

combo awning and screen room on our pop-up

Well, if its anything like the awning/screen room we had on our pop-up, you'll be very happy with how quickly and easily the r-dome goes up.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
wildflowerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:12am
I love the dome room.  It is a must with dogs.  Opening the door of the trailer and letting the dogs out into the dome made life easier.  We didn't set it up on a one night stay, only two or more nights.  Easy to set up once you get the hang of it.
tsunami123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:54am
I am of two minds about my R-Dome.  It's great for the extra room, especially when it's raining but you don't want to sit inside.  On the other hand, some people have found that it is not very robust if a sudden wind storm comes up.  (See other comments)...others have had the R-Dome collapse over the door in a wind storm, where they couldn't get out easily because the dome roof had draped over the door.  Check the dimensions of the Dome and you will see that the Dome extends quite a ways from the Pod.  I have encountered campgrounds/sites where the Dome would not fit within the dimensions of the site.
I ended up buying a PahaQue Visor...which only extends five feet from the Pod and has tie down straps rather than breakable aluminum tent poles.  It goes on quickly and has withstood some really strong winds (which would have ripped the Dome apart).  However, it only covers a small area compared to the Dome.
1) Use the Dome when you are going to be in one site for more than a couple days
2) Use the Dome where/when you know there won't be any high winds...especially if you are going to be gone from the Pod for a while
3) Use the Visor for a quick, small shelter from the sun/rain and you won't be in one place very long.

P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 7:46pm
We are in the Absolutely Yes category, and other than our very first time out we have set it up and used it.  In cold weather you can heat it up with a portable heater (we use a propane catalytic), warm weather you can open it up and have some shade, and in rainy weather it keeps your entry area much drier.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>