Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWekiva Falls KAO - Event Date: 15 Feb 2013 - 17 Feb 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Wekiva Falls KAO
    Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 11:17am
This was the first KAO I ever camped at in my adult life. It holds roughly 800 units. The reviews were slightly mixed, but positive on the whole. The one objection that recurred was that there were no fire pits and you had to have a portable fire pit that was elevated off the ground if you wanted to make a fire.

The first location they put us at had a concrete slab that was broken up and looked like a real liability. I have a 3 and 7 year old so I asked them to move me. They were very accommodating, professional and polite the whole way through. That was something I recalled from the reviews and it matched my experience exactly.

I followed the KOA person around the camp looking for a better spot. I asked for tree shade and maximum privacy. He found one spot for me and I surveyed it with him, however, when we got back to the little nook he proposed I saw there was a fence and dirt road that made it feel less like camp. As I looked to the left and right there were trailers that looked like they had been parked there for years, each with their own junkyard feel and collection of broken down rusting i-don't-know-whats.

He could see I was not excited about that location and so he moved me to another where I was up against mammoth RV's, packed in, and that's where we stayed for the weekend. It was kind of a lousy spot, but as I later learned, most of the spots weren't much better. However there might be 10-15 sites that are pretty nice considering...

I did drive around and mark down spots for the next time, if we ever return, but I learned what I had already figured in advance. I am more of a State Park wide-spaced camper.

While it was kinda cold for Florida, I noticed that few people seemed to come out of their RV's. Personally, I spend only a small fraction of time in my pod. I think there are others who spend most of their time in their luxury RV's and very little time outside. Not that there is any rule or right vs wrong, but I think some people are more out-doorsy and others are more in-doorsy. I wonder if KAO-ers tend to be more in-doorsy and State Parkers tend to be more outdoorsy? Not sure. Never thought about it before. Someone could probably educate me here..

Wekiva Falls KAO is located between Sanford and Mt Dora, just north of Orlando. 

Amenities:

I believe all their sites include electric, cable & sewer. They have an outdoor heated pool, a sulfery spring that you can swim in, and tiki bar that serves only beer, a huge clubhouse space with a pool table, dance floor and lots of tables ready for bingo night. 

The campgrounds also included very clean bathrooms, a laundry facility, a store and various activities including movie night on Friday nights.

The very best thing, for me however, was that they rented canoes. You could go way up river and that was a truly scenic and nature-feeling experience. It was a big plus for sure and possibly the only reason I might return (maybe).

Pros:

- Amenities & GREAT! canoeing experience
- Professional, courteous and amicable staff
- Some people might really enjoy the spring in the middle of that campground too (was kinda neat)
- Fishing & Wildlife to be spotted along the nearby waterways
- Lots of kids and seems like kids could have a blast there

Cons:

- Packed in feeling
- Lots of ant piles - everywhere. I got bit a few times when I first got there -- luckily it got cool enough to drive the ants underground
- Some people live there and a few of those folks keep their sites looking very junky - that was a turnoff
- No on-ground fires allowed (you must bring your own portable fire pit)
- Most sites don't have park benches - The staff brought me one for my troubles which was super
- Feels more like parking than camping

Overall:

Well it seemed there were folks who were perfectly happy there. From the reviews it got, it must be pretty nice as KAO's go. 

The park is pretty large, but I wished it was more spread out. I felt more like I was at a drive-in theatre, minus the movie screen. 

There's no question, though, that this KAO is making real money. I think they were about 80% full. So if 600 sites bring in $50/day (let's say) that comes to $30,000 a day. Of course there were a lot of long term campers getting discounted rates, but in one month, at regular rates, they could be doing just short of a million dollars.

While they are probably doing much less than $12 million a year in revenue, I would have liked to see park benches, fire pits and a slightly more manicured look for what it was or at least what I feel it was supposed to be.

Again, my own preferences skew this review somewhat. If you prefer KAO's, then this one might rank well on your list. I just have nothing to measure it against, except for the state and national parks I have stayed in. 

Bottom Line:

We still had a good time, and it was easy for me not to worry and just be happy and enjoy my time with my family and r-pod. Home is where the heart is, and this weekend my heart was at Wekiva Falls KAO campground. 

One last thing.. Without the kindness and attentiveness of the staff, I think my experience there could not have been positive in any way. That made a big difference and I think for that reason alone I should give this KAO high marks. Maybe I will measure it against other KAO's in the future, but I think I am more likely to seek out public parks wherever possible.
Gabe, Rima & the kids
RP 2011 182G
2006 LR3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 5:18pm

An alternative:  http://www.floridastateparks.org/wekiwasprings/

We stayed there 2 years ago in April.  Only downside was the mosquitoes.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 8:48pm
  gabe we have never stayed more than one night at a KOA and at any that we have been to have never seen a fire pit at the campsite. Same goes for any of the Good Sam approved parks, might be insurance regulations or city/county regs due to the closeness of all the campsites.    Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply