Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed20 degrees in the Smokies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 degrees in the Smokies
    Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 10:28pm
Just back from 4 nights in the Smokies.  Second trip out with the pod.   Light snow and down to 20 degrees last night.  No hook ups.  Water started freezing at about 25.  I opened up the panels under the sink and to the water heater and cranked the furnace up.  Also put a little electric heater (hooked to my generator) under the tanks.  The water recovered fine and it was nice and cozy inside.  I could sleep with out a blanket at 20 outside.

I'm used to tent camping.

I picked up a Yamaha 2400isHC inverter/generator before the trip.  Worked lake a champ. Started first time, every time.  It won't run a 1500 watt heater and the microwave at the same time, but that's easy to deal with.  There may have been one or two other little things plugged in at the time.  It did run the convection oven and the heater at the same time, which I found odd.  I haven't check the specs on the oven.  I didn't try the air conditioner, which is 11000 btu.  The generator specs claim it will start and run most 13,500 air conditioners, so I think I'll be fine as long as I'm not making toast at the same time.

Next time out at these temps I will probably go with the water system winterized and carry a couple of gallons.  It sure was nice to take showers this time though!

TT
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 5:34pm
That's a great way to break in the (new to you) pod!  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:22pm
Sounds like a fun trip. Although, I'd rather have to deal with the heat than the cold. What part of the Smokies were you podding in. GSMNP is one of my favorite places to visit.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:50pm
We were at Smokemont this time.  Had it totally to ourselves one night; never more than 3 others all four nights.  We like the NC side of the park for camping.  There seem to be fewer yahoos than at Elkmont, for example.  Deep Creek is nice too.  The past couple of winters only Cades Cove and Smokemont have been open though.

We've been tent camping up to now, so it's going to be interesting to see if and how our habits and attitudes will change with the pod.  I was always kind of disdainful of generators, for example, and now I have one....

TT
 Post Reply Post Reply