R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Power
    Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 12:20pm
I'd be interested to learn about experiences anyone has had with solar power for camping. We have not tried it yet at all. There is a 55W solar panel kit by Coleman that sells for about $300, and I'm wondering whether it would be of any practical use for keeping the rPod's battery charged in sites without electical hookups. Here's a description from the Walmart ad:

I'm not intending to use it for running air conditioning or anything like that; but I wonder if it would replenish the battery enough to appreciably extend the use of the rPod's interior lights, furnace fan, and water pump.

Any insight?

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 8:08pm

A few thoughts on solar and camping.  First, if you often camp in the shade it may not work for you.  It only takes a little bit of shade on a panel to drop its output heavily and not much more to drop its output almost to zero.  You can get around this by making the PV panel mobile but then you have to deal with voltage drop over distance, and security of the panel itself.  Unless you sit there with it, it could easily walk.

If you are willing to build your own, you can get a lot more bang for your buck with a larger panel and charge controller for a similar price.  I highly recommend the forum wind-sun.com if you want to explore this (I'm a member there).

If the longest you plan on being out there is a week, you can get by with two batteries for a lot less money and hassle.  Even if you'll be out longer maybe once a year you can use the "poor man's generator" and hook the batteries to your TV with high-quality jumper cables every other day and run it for an hour to keep them full enough to work well.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 11:29pm
Thanks, Techntrek. You confirmed what I suspected, even though that may not be what I wanted to hear. It would just be a lot more expense and trouble than it would be worth.  You've probably saved me at least a couple hundred bucks and a bunch of aggravation.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 2:47am
Sammycamper, we bought a really small solar panel around $25  at our local auto supply store. When we use it I just balance it on top of the propane tank. It does a reasonable job of keeping the electric charged up and was cheap enough that if it goes missing it is not a big deal. Size is about 15 inches x 6inches or thereabouts.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Paulipod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 1:44pm
FYI..Take a look at Harbor Freight. Same set up above minus converter way better price... This should be enough to keep battery up if good sunlight throughout the day. But I would agree with other posts unless dry camping more than 3 or so days. Three of the panels are kinda of heavy.
2012 Rpod 176 HRE
2005 Trailblazer EXT
2004 2007 Daughters
Ageless Wife
oh and a awesome dog
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:37am
BTW, in your scenario, it's the furnace fan that is the killer.

Just lights, water pump, fridge brain,  cO monitor, and some fantastic fan use, we can go 6 days on two batteries. We did change out to all LED's for our lights.

We use a iPad and iPhone with some rechargeable iHome speakers for most of our music when camping.
Paulipod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:37am
We have two batteries and once we upgrade to led, I can't wait to try a weeklong boondock trip. Ya those iHome speakers are perfect for using phone/tablet on picnic bench and keeping sound localized (neighbor friendly) instead of turning up audio in the pod.
2012 Rpod 176 HRE
2005 Trailblazer EXT
2004 2007 Daughters
Ageless Wife
oh and a awesome dog
 Post Reply Post Reply