This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171, 172 or 177? - Event Date: 05 Feb 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 171, 172 or 177?
    Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 7:23pm
For 30 years I tented (often for weeks) and after my son was grown I decided to get off the ground. Now that I'm retired, the time has come to invest in an RV. I am single and I want to take extended trips. After much research, I've become increasingly attracted to the R-Pod. I am concerned about storage, though, and that will affect my buying decision.

Although I like the slides, I think it might be pushing my tow limit. My TV is a Honda Pilot 4WD 6-cyl and 3500# tow limit, 450# hitch limit. I've towed large utility trailers in the past with no problem and the dealer says I can pull any R-Pod model, but I'm wary. I looked at a 177HRE and 172. The first was 2800#+ with all options but even running on empty tanks, with gear loaded it would be only a few hundred pounds under the limit. The 172 seemed much smaller without the slide but livable. Also, since I'm alone, it makes sense to consider a bunk model because the upper bunk would offer a wealth of storage missing from the 177 and 171.

Another consideration is my height: 6-1. It will be a cramped fit in a bunk or even a queen (same length) but on the queen I could 'offset' a bit sideways.

Resale doesn't figure into my choice because I plan to pass it along to my son, assuming it holds up.

So, slide or no slide? Queen or bunks? Any advice from others who've faced this quandary and especially owners of those specific units would be much appreciated.
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm
Slide....you'll want the room.  Queen, more comfort.  Garage model, it is awesome.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 7:46pm

Welcome.  We have the 171 with the queen.  I'm 5' 5" and I couldn't be much taller and sleep comfortably on my half of the bed.  Much more than 5' 9" and I would have to sleep diagonally.

I pulled a very heavy popup (close to 3500 loaded) for years and then the pod for over a year with a Sienna with a 3500 pound limit.  I was fine on back roads, even with hills, and fine at highway speeds.  But everyone here knows about "the wall" that you feel once you get above 55 mph.  Not a big problem on flat terrain, but add hills and/or a headwind and you'll have problems.  I drove to Florida for 2 days, one with a nasty headwind and I hated it.  Drove to Maine for 2 days with big hills and 6 people, and hated it.  Next spring after that trip I got the Suburban.  Bottom line, you can get away with it for a while but you'll want something more eventually.  Weight isn't an issue for the pods - but its like pulling a wall down the road at highway speeds.

They announced the slide models the week after we picked up our 171.  We probably would have gone with the 177 (same layout but the kitchen is reversed) if we had the option.  When towing with the Sienna I was glad to not have the extra 300 pounds, though.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 7:52pm
I have a 2009 171 Rpod - I'm 6'4" and do sleep on an angle in the queen bed. I did not fit in the bunks so you may want to try out the beds.  Tell the sales person to take a hike as you are looking and try out the camper.  I love the 171 and glad I do not have the added weight of the slide.  You will find that storage will work out,  Enjoy the shopping
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:00pm
level62,

Some thoughts from one with a very similar situation. I (we) have a 172 and pull it with a 2010 4WD Honda pilot. We have the E2 equalizer/sway control hitch which I highly recommend. My wife and I opted for the 172 because of the separate sleeping and dining areas. We did not want to crawl over each other to get up at night so the bunks were our choice. The wrap around dinette was also attractive. I am 5'9 and sleep comfortably in the bunks, but with your height the 171 or 177 might be necessary

Watch the weight.  Despite what the dealers tell you, the small V6 in the Pilot will be an issue if you spend time at altitude with hills. Pay attention to the gross combined weight requirement in your manual. You lose 2% for each 1000 feet in altitude. GCVW is more important than trailer weight. Apparently the dealers never leave sea level. We decided against the slide in favor of lower weight. Maybe it would be nice, but we get along fine without it.

Storage is not a problem for two of us; easier for you.

Another point from many of us here: don't pay for the TV/AM/FM/DVD player. It's performance is poor and over-the-air TV stations are really scarce at camp sites. Besides, you are going camping, not TV watching. A laptop computer, DVDs, and a personal hotspot on a cell phone take care of all that. The R-Dome is nice, but it can be a hassle and you may not need it.

The 172 has proven to be a good choice for us, but each owner has different needs/desires. I'll be glad to help more if you need it. And welcome to Podding.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:02pm
The slide as you said would be extra weight and with the slide you will lose a little storage space. I am 5 ft. 9 in. and am comfortable in our 171. We towed our 171 for a while with a Saturn VUE, I think it may of had the same engine as your Pilot. The Saturn had no problem with power in towing the 171, even in the mountains of Tn. What ever model you chose I'm sure you will enjoy the Rpod as a lite weight travel trailer.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:21pm
"no problem with power in towing the 171, even in the mountains of Tn"

What mountains in Tn? I'm talking Colorado, Mon.LOL
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:41pm
Level62, we have a 172, I think looking back I would have gotten the 177 due to more room to move around for 2 people. I dont have a problem with the extra weight. but Donna and I like the 172. We use the upper bunk for storage (until grandchildren come along) we use the short queen dinette conversion for sleeping. sometimes during the day nap time is on the lower bunk. I am 5'11 and don't have a problem with the short queen or bunks. If you spend much time inside (with 2 people) the slides give more room for moving around and past one another.Its a toss up. the 172 is lighter. We wont trade ours off, we like it and the quality shows. We bought ours new in the fall of 2011, never took it back to a dealer for anything but the rear light upgrade. not one loose screw or any warranty problems so far. I think we got a good one. Happy Poddin
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

To me the mountains in Tn are the biggest I have been through in my life. Can only imagine those in Colorado. Have fun! Some day maybe I will have the time to see those bigger mountains out west.Shocked
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

Originally posted by CharlieM

To me the mountains in Tn are the biggest I have been through in my life. Can only imagine those in Colorado. Have fun! Some day maybe I will have the time to see those bigger mountains out west.Shocked
  I would like to add I have climbed the highest mountain in Florida " Iron Mountain " all 295 feet. LOL
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>