R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator/LED Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator/LED Questions
    Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 3:39pm
Renosteve- see my post and related ones about the Watts-UP meter:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2898&KW=watts+up&PID=27452&title=electrical-current-draw#27452.  It works great - needs a #6 or 8 wire from the main battery lead in, but has many functions and you can monitor total current use.

We bought two sets of 10 LED paddle style 921 replacements for $30 each set direct from China, postage free, on line thru eBay.  They are 10 LEDs per paddle.  I think I googled " 921 LED replacement".  So far only one of 11 installed has failed.  Rather white, but one gets used to it.  Current draw is miniscule.

Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 4:36pm
Led info:

Here are the inside LED's I used in the RPOD.

This is direct from China and there are multiple LED's called "corn" on these bulbs.  68 LED's in all on each "bulb." They put out more light than the incandescents did.  I placed them side by side once to test.

These will the the greatest amount of LED's you will purchase for your POD.

If you want the "Warm White ones," get them from superbrightleds.com

The only place we used them was in the bedroom area for the warmer colors.  With all changes, you must accept some adjustments.  The white colors don't bother us and we're glad to be using less amperage as a result.

For generators, the current Consumer reports has a high rating for Troy bilt XP700 for $900.  However, I still swear by the Honda's.  They are very quiet and consumer small amounts of fuel.

Good Luck,

Burt

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 7:58pm

By coincidence, while researching 3rd brake lights today (going on the back when my lighting recall is done), I found that etrailer has a bunch of interior LED fixtures.  Not drop-in replacements for the bulbs themselves but I thought I would pass this on:  http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Lights-sf-Interior_Lights-pc-LED_Light.aspx

As for monitoring the battery, I stick with measuring the battery at-rest voltage (look up Wind Sun's battery FAQ for more info).  I do like the monitoring systems like the Trimetric.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:53pm
Burt, I used (sorry) a chinese companty and replaced 2/3 of the bulbs in my 172 for less that $15.00, it was on an older thread, maybe a year ago. go to the search function and you should be able to find it. they are a bright blue light but do well for the price.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 10:04pm
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 10:09pm
Yes, I did also use a Chinese company.  Although I replaced every light on the POD with Chinese Led's and the total cost was $70 and I have plenty of spares.  This included all interior, exterior running, marking and porch lights.

I have used SuperBrightLed's on occasion but for different purposes.  They are a good company and yet, are still a re-seller.  Going direct cuts out the middle seller.

Glad U did better than me but if I had gone to an outfitter for RV's and trailers, it would have cost me 2 or 3 times as much.

The main thing is to save those amps and keep you on the road without battery failure and lit up.

Thanks,

Burt
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 9:07am

Thanks for all the info on the lights ... I definitely want to get them changed out before we start our camping year!

P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12