Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWHITMAN'S TRY-POD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHITMAN'S TRY-POD
    Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 1:14pm
Hello fellow Pod owners and yes I am a newby of the first order. We purchased our pre-owned R-pod a  2010 171 !! We only had it 10 minutes as we were driving away pulling it with our Tacoma pickup and we named it Try-POD. A little about us?

We have waited 2 years (saving) in order to pull this off. The economy has not been great and has had our purchasing in the dumps for the last 5 years. But we said the heck with it and found a wonderful 171 that looks like it has never been used. I am an astronomer and well known in the astronomy community. My friends call me (aveman here are a few pictures of one of the events my wife and I host CSPAMP  http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvwMpdv
This event is held on Mnt. Pinos in august every year and this coming year will be CSPAMP VI. These are usualy 3 day events and we stay in the parking lot on top of the mountain. 
Well as the owner of this new contraption it has allot of features and I have already spent a few hours on the group reading about the bells, whistles and honkers. Cant wait to take her out for a night or two. 
Our goal is to pull "Try-pod" with "Mickey" our 1966 El Camino. We have been restoring her for years..   
What do you all think???? 
Clint AKA (aveman 
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 2:19pm
Love the El Camino I have no idea how well it will pull the pod. My first thought is that you might need to beef up the rear springs but I am saying that with no idea what the El Camino came with for rear suspension. Keep us posted on how it works.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
rex View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 3:01pm
Welcome to the world of podding,I have a 2010 171and pull with 2006 tachoma,love the El Camino,happy trails to you  rex pHp stuart fla
jrr
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 3:19pm
Welcome!  The Camino looks like it has a fairly long wheel base which is good for towing.  I wouldn't worry about the rear springs - instead look into getting a E2 or Equalizer weight distribution hitch (lots of posts around here about them).  It will greatly improve the ride and handling.  Combo of the pod + Camino will look great.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 8:34pm
welcome looks like a nice combination.  When I was out in Banff last june on the highway i spotted a r-pod being towed by an old station wagon and it looked great!
 Post Reply Post Reply