R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew guy here - possible leak?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy here - possible leak?
    Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 6:01pm
Hello all,
I am a brand new 182G owner. I picked it up last weekend from Stoltzfus RV and I've been busy making a few minor mods and getting everything set up.

This afternoon I noticed a funny thing. I opened the rear "garage" and found that there was some water in the bottom of two of the formed recesses. It has rained here over the last week so I'm concerned that there  could be a leak. No warping of any of the side panels. I felt all around and can't track to any source. 

Last weekend during set up I had the rear garage open during some light rain/ misting. I don't think that enough could have gotten in to account for the water, but I'm not entirely sure. 

The weird part is that, assuming it is a leak, you would expect ONE of the recesses to have water. The leak would travel to the lowest point. But two?  It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I've looked around the forum and I can't find any reference to leaks in the garage models. 

Any help or advice is appreciated.  
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 7:53pm
Welcome!  I bought from the same dealer. We are having a camping weekend next weekend jan 25-27. At French creek state park. Your welcome to come  Not sure on your leak problem. Was the unit totally closed?

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 8:12pm
Welcome, I'm another Stoltzfus buyer.  I think someone else just joined recently that also purchased from them.  Sorry I can't help with your issue, someone with your model will have to chime in.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
geklund View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:48pm
We have a 182G also and have had no problems with water getting into the back.  We store garbage bags and dish towels sometimes in those recesses and occasionally items may get a little damp.  But the water is usually either from our dish drying rack which sometime drips down there or maybe some water drips when disconnecting the quick-disconnect faucet and may find its way to the recesses.  We don't take those lids off very often so I think what water does collect there is the result of several trips.  Since you have not really used your rPod yet, not sure where it is coming from.  We have driven the camper in driving rain storms and heavy wet snow on trips to Alaska and back and also down to Truckee and LA in California and back from Washington state and not had any external leakage.  I think that back door is designed really well to keep all external water out.  Good luck with the 182G.  We just LOVE ours.

182G 2011 Hood River Edition
F-150 5.4L
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:48am
No leaks in mine to date....perhaps the cleaners didn't get it all.  Check your seals?

S-cape podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:49am
We have a 181G and have experienced some water collection in the recesses occasionally but we think it was due to condensation. We keep a 'Dri-Z-Air' dehumidifier in the garage and haven't had the problem since. 

Steve & Lynn S
2011 181G
2011 Toyota Tundra
Our-pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:35am
Thanks for all of the replies. At first I didn't think it was possible that it could be condensation based on the amount of water. Now I'm not so sure. First, the back area seems really well protected from water intrusion. Second, unless it was a significant leak, I can't see how it would get into multiple recesses. Third, it seems like the most likely leak point is the large seam in the roof just above the spoiler, but if it was leaking there it seems likely that it would run down the vertical wall and again into a single recess.

So now I'm back to condensation. It was a really misty/ foggy and warm day last Sunday. I had the back open and I know that the surfaces were wet with mist/rain. I wiped it down and closed it up. Then this week it turned cold. Probably at least 30-40deg swing in temps. It's tough to believe, but maybe it really is all of the moisture that I sealed in when I closed it last weekend. 

It's a little warmer today.  I think I'm going to head out with a garden hose and see if I can find anything. I'm guessing/hoping that I won't be able to find a leak. 
Our-pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:40am
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Welcome!  I bought from the same dealer. We are having a camping weekend next weekend jan 25-27. At French creek state park. Your welcome to come  Not sure on your leak problem. Was the unit totally closed?

Sounds interesting. I'm not familiar with the park, but we are looking for a test run for the new camper. What are the details?
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Our-pod

Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Sounds interesting. I'm not familiar with the park, but we are looking for a test run for the new camper. What are the details?
It is open to anyone with or without a rpod - Its Rpod and Friends Camping

But the basics are that French Creek State Park is in Berks County (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/frenchcreek/index.htm) and so far there are 3 of us scheduled to come Hobiecats on 35, Techntrek on 36 and myself on 33 - there are others that expressed interest but not yet sure if they are booked

I will have a big Carport that will be setup on Site 33 as a meeting place for the weekend.  We had talked about a visit to Hopewell Furance, a visit toa winery, and a putluck dinner on Saturday Night. 

No Need to unwinterize your camper as they have a heated bath house at french creek.
Our-pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 1:17pm
Thanks for the info about the trip. We're considering it and I'll get in touch if we confirm.

For anyone following this thread, I went out today and sprayed the rear of the camper thoroughly with a hose. No signs at all of any leaks, confirming my suspicions of mist and condensation. Something I'll keep an eye on, but I really tried to make it leak and couldn't. 

Where can you buy the desiccant or dehumidifier?  Seems like a good idea - the rear garage will continually see changes in air temp and humidity. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>