FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy
    Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 9:39pm
Hi All
Well, I think I'm about to go ahead and purchase a 177, so I thought I'd say "Hi" as it looks like you've already got a pretty good group going here.  I will say that I  am a little nervous switching to an R-Pod after having owned a13' Casita for 10-12 years, but I just needed something bigger to stay longer and do more stuff. I live in Blacksburg, VA and retired a few years early from teaching 6th Grade Math and Science....kinda' got tired of just "teaching the test".
I did add solar power to my Casita about 12 years ago as I needed a power source for my 3 week remote camping trips to Canada and elsewhere.  So, that will be one of the first mods I'll add to my 177 (and a bumper?).  I'm  always open for questions about solar or wind power as I tend to be pretty much a geek when it comes to experimenting with alternative energy......and I guess my ham radio license pretty much cements my place in Geekdom.  However, I also play acoustic guitar and fool around with old MG's to kinda' sorta' balance myself out (or maybe not) Anyway, "Hi" again and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in my travels and posts. 
Ramblin' Rich
A quick qualifier: None, absolutely none, of my electronic skills transfer to "smart phones" or computers.  I am convinced that my two sons (both IT's) give me these things because of something I did to them during their middle/high school years. 

Rich
2013 R-177
2013 Ford F 150 4X4
(yeah, bought a new truck)!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:34am
Welcome to the forum!  I think you'll enjoy the Pod and I'm guessing it will tow similar to the Casita.  I'll also guess that you'll find another "geek" or two here Wink.  (Maybe even a few other "Hams")  If you have any questions, please don't be bashful about posting.  There are lots of helpful folks here.

WA9DU
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:21am
+1 with the welcome.  We love our 177, and are a ham household (Keith KB9NUM and Dar KC9ABT)
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:06am
Welcome to the forum fellow Geek. I am an IT geek though. I have often thought about getting my Ham Licence as I was a Radio Technician in the Canadian Air Force back before I became a computer geek. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:16am
Congrats also.  Guess I'll jump in too, and expose myself as KI7QI.  Had a solar cell years ago to just top off battery while trailer was in storage.  Never ran the trailer on battery alone.  Many do now, of course.  I have purchased a Honda 2000I which will run all I need.  But primarily have just gone with full hookups this past year.  You will enjoy the extra space and these pods are very well built, in recent years.  Personally, we prefer the 171 as most of the time we are outside.  The extra expense and weight were a factor in our decision.  If you are just by yourself, I would suggest the 171 will be very adequate.  One thing I did add were dual LP tanks and a quick LP connect on the front of the trailer to fuel our LP stove.  Only cook outside.  All the best and Safe Travels.  73.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
ReddOrion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 12:05pm
Welcome, Rich! I'm a new Podder myself. I love the 177 floorplan, it's perfect for me and my wife. We're doing some light duty mods (nothing heavy on the electrical side yet) to make it fit us in preparation for Spring camping.

My experience with the pod is very limited, but I was very impressed with how well it tracked behind our Tahoe. I have a tight U-shaped driveway and it made the turn without running over any of the landscaping. On the highway and regular roadways it behaved just fine.
Jason & Kim
2013 RP-177 HRE
2005 Tahoe LT
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:26pm
Welcome.  Computer geek, solar enthusiast and ham enthusiast but w/o the license.  Too many things to do with too little time. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply