Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013 177 Advice Before Purchase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 177 Advice Before Purchase
    Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 1:41am
Many posts so I have not read all but scanned some. You asked what you needed when you pick up the Pod. We have a 2013 177 and regardless of which Pod you have I would highly recommend a sway bar.  Several posts on the forum as to which one and/ or weight equalizer thig a ma jig ... Simply get something. 
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 1:50am
My Wife and I have owned a 171 since early 2009 and have really enjoyed it.  Yes the person on the inside of the bed needs to crawl over the other person but has not really bothered us at all.  My wife has me trapped on the inside.  As for size I feel it is perfect and has just what we need  iwould have gone with a teardrop if my wife did not want the bathroom. It is easy to get in and out of parking lots, gas stations and camps due to the size. 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 6:08pm
"I had the same thought...all backs are different! Did you keep the sink in the shower? I noted that some folks removed it for more space but I thought sitting down for a shower was fine. My husband definitely will sleep on the outside! And our dog, I expect, will be at the table!"

The first couple of showers were interesting.  After a few I got the hang of it.  I will try a sit down shower next season.  The sink stayed in place and I have no plans to move it.  Using the toilet is more of an adveture at first.  I started with the door open for a little more room, but now it is fine with the door closed.  Not as much room as at home but it is enough.  I am full sized plus and also a senior.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
barefoot14 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:09am
We spent some time in a new 2013 177 yesterday, also checked out a new Forest River Vibe, the bathroom is awesome! However the Vibe would be too heavy for our Highlander. There's an RV show in PA in a few weeks, we are thinking we might go to it and check out some more models, has anyone ever been? Did anyone compare the knock off Heartland MPGs to the RPod before purchase?
gnawbone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:15am

Hi Barefoot14. Here's our story...We have been in RVing with large and small units but decided on the R-Pod 177. Went to the dealer in Ohio because of the best price and no add-ons or hidden extras.
Probably not allowed to recommend them by name. We went out on Tuesday Dec 11, 2012. Stayed in the Marriott for $95, went to the dealers on Wed and after demo started for home. Got home Thurs eve very tired. we're both over 70 so our long distance drives are difficult. I think this is one of the most exciting trailers I've had and perfect for what we want: state parks, short trips.
We drove out in our 2004 Dodge 3500 diesel pickup truck and averaged 22.5 mpg going out thru hilly PA. COMING HOME: 'nother story: 14.4 mpg. frontal area and headwind dropped our mileage and I kept way under the speed limits most of the time. Small price to pay for what we got. Next is to hook up to our 2013 Toyota Sienna and see what happens. I'm looking at the Andersen weight distributing hitch on Ebay. The other forum on R-Pods has a few mods that are interesting and Facebook has an R-Pod owners group too. I like to read all of this stuff as these are very friendly and experienced folks.
Best wishes for your purchase. Feel free to email if you like...

2017 Toyota Sienna
2016 R-180   "the Wee Pod"
gnawbone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:29am
I was told that the MPG is no longer in production and had a lot of warranty issues.Don't know if that's true, but I only found 1 used one. and I lost interest.
2017 Toyota Sienna
barefoot14 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:39am
The MPG is back in production, their units are still very similar to the r-Pod, the tires are larger and they have 2 propane tanks, that's the biggest difference I could find on the Heartland site.
gnawbone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 9:17am
looks like a bit of weight difference too
2017 Toyota Sienna
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:34pm
We put a 2 inch foam pad (memory foam) on the mattress and it's more comfortable than our expensive serta mattress.  Definitely get the risers, you need them.   I also suggest you take a few short trips before you modify the inside.  An anti sway/WD hitch is also a good idea.  I installed an Andersen and like it.  Several people on this forum also like the equalizer hitch.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 11:13pm

Wow, lots of good stuff on this thread.  I'll confirm that memory foam added to the factory mattress has worked well for us.  You will need a 2" receiver hitch on your Highlander and I highly recommend a weight distribution hitch (WDH) which includes sway control.  While the pod is the most comfortable and easy-towing trailer I've pulled in 24 years, and I towed it for a year without weight distribution or sway control, once I had my E2 in place I wish I had done it much earlier.  It makes the ride much more comfortable and no issues with passing trucks.  I also highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller line, which is much better than old style timer-based controllers.  The Prodigy senses your tow vehicle's (TV) inertia and brakes proportionately.

Stoltzfus RV in Adamstown, PA has worked with several people here including us to come very close to matching the price of that dealer in OH.  If they are closer to you its something to look into.  If you do go there you'll likely go right past my house (northern MD near I-83) so you are welcome to crash in the driveway on your way home (I have water and 30 amp hookups).  There's also a decent year-round campground a mile from us, which I can see from our back yard.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>