R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crashed on the interstate while towing the R-Pod
    Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 4:22pm
Risers are ok.. although I think they make the pod look a bit funny.. but remember, when you add that 3-4 inches, that step goes up... we don't have them because big dog couldn't get in if we did.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 3:03pm
   I  like the POD without risers as it is easier for Mama to get in and out, so to tow we have to use a 12 inch drop to hitch the trailer to the Jeep. Towing as far as you are I would use what ever drop hitch it would require to keep your trailer level, it would make for better handling as you drive along.
     Safe travels.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 11:31pm
Glad to hear that you just about have everything sorted out. The Yukon is way more TV that you will need so whether you need a WDH or not is a mater of comfort not safety. (IMHO) 

Also you could get a drop hitch instead of axle risers but If you are going to get the axle changed anyway might as well get them to put on the risers. I really like the risers on mine. Saves on replacing the stableizer jacks. I wrecked two before I put the lifts on.  

Good Luck on the trip. that is quite the crew to fit into a pod. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 8:09pm
Just wanted to post a quick update as we continue making progress on getting things resolved.

First of all, we bought a new TV: a 2007 Yukon XL Denali. Obviously it's way more than enough for the R-Pod, but it'll be more comfortable towing and have more room for our 3 podding pups too. I put a Prodigy P3 brake controller in it and am using the factory tow package. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should consider not using the WDH (but keeping the sway control on) since that truck has got such a hefty suspension compared to our HiHy?

Our Highlander that was in the accident so far has over $4,000 worth of damage, possibly including damage to the hybrid system (which would push us over $10,000 in repairs). GEICO has decided to fix it rather than total it, which is a bit of a nuisance to us since it means we have to have the HiHy shipped to CA, but we don't really get a say in it. 

We also got our R-Pod back from the shop today. They replaced the tire that had the sidewall damaged in the accident and fixed the fender light that broke too. They said that the axle needs to be replaced but it's perfectly safe to make it from TX to CA (same story we heard from the shop in TN). We'll find a place once we're settled in Sacramento to replace the axle and redo the seal and trim where the R-Pod hit the car. We'll also need to add risers since the Yukon's hitch is so much higher.

We're scheduled to hit the road for the final trip to CA this Saturday, planning on taking 6 days to get there along the southern route from Houston. We'll be crowding our entire household of 3 dogs, 4 cats, and a 10-month old baby in so it should be quite the adventure!
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 7:02am
   Sorry for your accident, thankfully your family is safe and no other vehicles were involved. I think that you would feel safer in a larger heavier TV. From our own experience towing our 171, we started with a 2007 Saturn Vue. We changed the Saturn for a 2010 Jeep Liberty, with both of these TV's we felt unsafe and that it felt like the Rpod had too much control over the TV. We now have a 2012 RAM 1500 reg cab and now towing the Rpod we feel safe in that we feel the TV has the more control rather than the Rpod. This is our own personal experience but even with a heavier and longer wheel base TV, we need to use caution. Something I often tell myself never get to over confident while driving towing or not towing.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 6:42am
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advice and analysis. We just did our first day after getting the trailer roadworthy and things felt pretty good. That being said, I think that we going to upgrade our TV when we get to our destination. 

The HiHy is a good car for driving around, but it hasn't been great for towing. On the mountains I worry about the CVT running so high without the ability to put a transmission cooler on it. It feels like it strains going up hills and the gas mileage is abysmal (7mpg with a 14 gallon tank means really frequent stops).

On an emotional level, I think we'd also just be more comfortable in something bigger and better suited to towing. We don't want to run the risk of not using our R-Pod because we don't like trailering it. When we bought the HiHy we had no plans to tow and now that we know that going to be part of our lifestyle, we need to reevaluate. 

On an unrelated topic, I also have to give a huge thank you to GEICO during this ordeal. They handle both our TV and R-Pod insurance and have been extremely helpful, available, accommodating, and sympathetic. Based on our experience now, I don't expect we'll ever switch to another insurance company.

rex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 10:24pm
Glad to hear all is ok,I cant give you any advice this is new to me also,but would like to thank all the replies you received from the experenced podders,your info helped me to.Happy trails to you on the rest of your trip.  rex pHp stuart fla.
jrr
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 8:22pm

Originally posted by danthoman

techntrek - Have to disagree with you about the acceleration.   The physics dictates that it does work. Accelerating the TV is much the same as applying the RV brakes. 

I agree, as I said at the end of my post, but only in a very limited instance (no brakes or failed trailer brakes and near the bottom of the hill).  If the trailer has brakes it is far, far safer and effective to mash on the brake controller than to mash on the accelerator.  And you can only use the accelerator towards the bottom of the hill anyway.  If you mash on the accelerator at the top of a 1/4 mile hill you will end up in a pile of flaming wreakage at the bottom.  If you use the trailer brakes you will bring the rig under control while you are still at the top of the hill - and all the way down. 

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Seanl

I use a WDH with sway control for comfort not because it is needed. I towed my trailer without it and I did not feel unsafe just uncomfortable. 
That is one potential advantage to using a WDH. Your ride will feel less jouncy. But, if you load your trailer properly, you'll have less than 300 pounds of hitch weight and, depending on how taught your Highlander's suspension is, the bounce is probably minimal on most surfaces. A little bounce is better than the consequences of a poorly adjusted WDH. Plus, hitching up is a whole lot easier without one.
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 10:34am
Originally posted by sammycamper

I agree with everyone here that the best part of your story is that all the living beings are still living and well. Next best thing is the good treatment you got from everyone nearby.

You are getting advice in several different directions, but one common thread that just makes good sense is to keep the trailer from pushing you - there's nobody steering the trailer. I'll add my vote to those who recommend manually engaging your trailer brakes and staying off the TV brakes as long as possible. I do think your hind sight that you entered the curve too aggressively is spot on.

I strongly disagree with a couple suggestions here that keep coming up on this site. I DO NOT think you need a larger tow vehicle, and I DO NOT believe your weight distrubution hitch and anti-sway bar helped your towing a lick. Neither are necessary or even appropriate for such a light, single axle camper.

I have been towing campers and boats for nearly 30 years, and the largest tow vehicle I've had is the 6-cyl Trailblazer that we have now. I towed a 19-foot sailboat with a cabin that slept 4 people from San Diego, CA to Rochester, MN with a 4-cyl Isuzu Trooper (we slept in the boat at Grand Canyon National Park) and I towed the rig through Vegas, where we spent a night in a hotel. Just before our rPod 173, we were towing a camper that weighed a thousand pounds more with a Honda Pilot and then the 2008 Trailblazer we have now. I did not use a WDH with the Pilot, because the Honda owner's manual recommended against it. The Pilot was max'd, but did fine. I did use a WDH for the body-on-frame Trailblazer when we pulled that travel trailer; but, that trailer had tandem axels and the WDH could balance the weight on the trailer axles. That was the max that either the Pilot or the Trailblazer could pull safely, and I stayed within about a 300-mile radius for the 6 years we towed it. The rPod 173 is an easy pull for the Trailblazer. I think I'd pull it practically anywhere.

Using a WDH with such a light single-axle trailer as an rPod, especially with the tanks full and lifting weight off the tongue, can cause more troublesome dynamics than it remedies. A WDH tends to numb any normal sensation of towing, and that probably contributed to the over-confident speed you were going as you entered the curve. I highly recommend traveling with your fresh and gray water tanks empty for anything but short hauls. I also encourage you to hitch up without all that WDH and anti-sway crap. Go ahead and feel your tow! You will have a much better tendancy to do your best intuitive driving.

Please: Hook up your camper directly to a basic hitch in your TV receiver (making sure the ball is at the right height to keep your camper level). Go to the biggest, emptiest nearby parking lot you can find, and drive around until you are comfortable with things. Then do some driving around a few blocks in relatively flat areas. Then try some hills; then some curves; then some hilly curves. Graduate slowly, deliberately, and cautously while the 9-month old is safe in a crib back home with the grandparents - just you, your wife, your tow vehicle, and your rig. Feel what you're towing. It's not a bad thing. It's a nice little pod. I'll bet you bought the rPod partly due to the fact that you wanted something small enough to tow behind the Highlander, because the Highlander is what you have and it serves your little family's needs nicely. Well, you were right in the first place.

Practice this until you don't have to listen to fools like me. Practice towing your rig raw until you enjoy the tug you feel behind you. Practice manually engaging the trailer brakes until it's almost as impulsive as pushing the brake pedal or accelerator. Pretty soon you'll know the difference between a tug and a push, and you'll know what to do to get the tug back. BUT, your chances of feeling that difference with a damn WDH and anti-sway on an undersized single-axle trailer are next to zip.

At that point, you'll be ready to bring the 9-month old along for a great family adventure.

Sam

I agree with most of what sammycamper has to say. I use a WDH with sway control for comfort not because it is needed. I towed my trailer without it and I did not feel unsafe just uncomfortable. 

First off a WDH has nothing to do with sway. As a matter of fact if it is adjusted wrong it can contribute to sway in a push situation. If you set your bars to tight you take weight off of the rear of the TV decreasing the traction on the rear of your TV which could lead to more sway especially  In the situation we are talking about here where the trailer is pushing the rear of the TV sideways.  When I set my WDH up I made sure that there was still a little sag in the rear of my TV when the bars were engaged. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>