R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCar as Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car as Generator
    Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:17pm
On the last camping trip this year, it was cold at night. I was dry camping(w/o hook-ups) Since the Pod does not have a generator, I have not bought one due to expense, AND just as important, too darn heavy for me to lift around..........I plug the battery cord into the car , start the car and let it run, thus charging my Pod battery. The electronic ignition and fan on the furnace pulls a lot of current apparently when it cycles on in the night. I have put the themostat down around 50, but by morning I have to get up in the dark and hook up again to have heat.
I am told by another person that this is not good on my car battery or generator. It should be used ONLY in an emergency.
Would like opinions and suggestions on this.
At this point I think Winter camping is a bit too much for me, what with 2 dogs to tend to. We stayed very cosy due to LOTS of quilts and blankets.
 I am told that the Pod is just not meant to do Winter camping in, not an all season camper.
Thanks ahead of time for comments, suggestions.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:33pm
Well.. the pod, just like any camper, has it's limits. Winter camping is no problem, but you DO need either a generator or electric hookups. If you are going to do much boondocking, regardless of season, a dual battery setup is better.

In general, a winter package on a camper gets you better insulation, a enclosed belly, and heated holding tanks.

Draining your battery to the "no lights" point is VERY bad. VERY bad. For lack of a better way to put it, anytime you do that, it cuts the batteries life span in half.. for a say, "6 year battery".. 4 times and you will be lucky to get a second season out of that battery.

If you need a generator just to charge the batteries, and not run the AC, or microwave, a 1000w inverter type will do great, and they weigh hardly anything, (less than 30 pounds) get fantastic gas "mileage", and are quiet to boot.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 9:07pm

furpod covered it.  The pod isn't designed for full-service winter camping, it would need to be modified to enclose the belly and heat it, but as long as you keep the water system winterized it does great.  I camped last January in 10 F lows and kept warm and comfortable with a small electric heater.

Keep in mind in cold weather lead acid batteries (temporarily) loose a lot of capacity - you get electricity from a chemical reaction and in colder temps that chemical reaction happens more slowly.  As furpod said, two batteries or a small Honda inverter-genset would be useful.  Although a 2000 watt model would still be portable but allow you to run a quiet electric heater instead of the jet-engine LP heater.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:39am
Since I don't want the expense of a mod for an enclosed belly and the Honda generator that I would have no use for after the Pod is gone, I have gained the knowledge that Winter camping is not for me.
I park under trees in Spring, Summer, Fall, some cool. have battery operated fan to move some air in evening until it turns very cool in the mountains in the wee hours.
Did not drain the battery to "no" lights. that good to know.
Don't have micro, but have toaster oven when I have full hook-ups.
Go for 4 days w/o hookups, due to having to dump.
Had all water systems drained before I went this time, but I don't go when the weather would be as low as techntrek does.
Bottom line: I don't want to encure a large expense due to what may be limited time to keep the Pod due to age and doing it myself.  I have looked at the Honda inverter and they are costly, drooled over it. Could lift it ok.
furpod.. what is the brand of the 1000w inverter type you mentioned. Have I missed something that might be less costly.
Thank you both for the information.
With an aged dog and a puppy I was challanged , add cold , drizzly weather and the person in the middle was getting older by the minute!LOL 
I was stubbornly determined to go out since I had gone out in Spring one time and the rest of the year was shot for one reason or another. Wanted a taste of camping before pouring the antifreeze into the system. We live and learn, LOL

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 3:20pm
There are definitely cheaper inverter-genset options out there now.  I believe Champion is one brand.  Just don't expect them to be as quiet when using "eco mode".

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 5:18pm
The weight on this Champion? can one older woman lift it? I think I have seen the Champion if it is yellow and black, looks like a tough little thing, but don't remember what wattage was. will look online to see if there are choices before I have to go out and find one.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:04pm
Champion and Generac both make one, I think the Generac is 29lbs and about $500.

As far as an older woman.. it's all relative, my mom is 70, dad is 75, they still camp at all times of the year, and have a 2000i for when they don't want to run the onboard geeny, or for stuff around their property, or emergency. Mom has no problem with it. My MIL can't pick up a #10 can of beans.. And she is younger (68)..

I will also point out a generator is not "lost money". Even if you get it for camping, it can be used for lots of stuff, and can be sold later, often at little loss $ wise.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:49pm
Looks like 48 pounds (dry) according to this page:  http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/73531i/
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:51pm
Ahhh... see I am looking at a 1k unit since all they want to do is charge batteries... lighter, and better mileage..

Something along this line..
http://www.generac.com/Portables/iX/Products/iX800/

29 lbs.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 6:50am
ok... the Really dumb question coming up. I looked at the generac iX800. it has the 2  120v. plugs. How do I plug it into my Pod since I have the large 2 prong battery cord. Do I get a long cord and run it though the door/window? to the plug in the Pod? I am just not sure how the power gets to the Pod battery. Forgive the totally not knowing. May be simple answer, but one I have never thought about!
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>