R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch Bike rack - Event Date: 07 Oct 2012 - 21 Oct 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bonanddoug View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hitch Bike rack
    Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 10:06am
My bike is carbon fiber and I would not carry it on the front.  The bike could easily be damaged from gravel or other debris thrown up by other vehicles.  If the bike is steel or aluminum and you don't care too much about the paint it might be OK.
retireclose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 11:44am
We carry two bikes.  We have no problem with line of site.  We have used two types of bike racks, both worked fine

We  currently use the Thule.
Gary and Jill Winters
Bella Golden Retriever
2014 Silverado 1500
2015 R-Pod 179 -(SOLD)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 9:06am
Originally posted by HuronSailor

Originally posted by retireclose

I have a 2"receiver on the front of my Silverado that I use with a bike rack

That's the best solution I've heard so far. Can you carry two bikes? Which brand? How does it affect your field of view?

Is it legal?

I've done something similar with a cargo tray mounted to my front receiver.  I added that primarily to carry my generator, but I've used it several times now as a bike rack.  I added a vertical 2 X 6 to provide some stability, but 95% of the stability comes from using ratcheting tie-downs.  They make it so solid I can shake the truck while holding on to the bikes.  I can carry all four of ours, and it doesn't affect the field of view much.  It blocks a bit of the road very, very close to the truck but not in a way that it is a safety issue.  I agree that the headlights can be a problem - they aren't if I just have the kid's bikes but I'm sure the adult bikes would be partly in the headlight's way.  My generator (and its box) sits low enough that it doesn't interfere with the headlights at all.

Edit: this thread shows my cargo tray in action  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3689

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 8:48am
I put the FR endorsed bike rack on the front of my FJ Cruiser for a trip down to the SC coast a few weeks ago.  It traveled fine and the view wasn't blocked bad at all, but at night the headlights were blocked and reflected back at me. Not horribly, but certainly annoyingly.  For the trip back I put the bikes on the back of the pod and put the pod's spare on the front of the FJ.  Much better.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 8:17am
Originally posted by retireclose

That's the best solution I've heard so far. Can you carry two bikes? Which brand? How does it affect your field of view?

Is it legal?
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 8:41pm
For what it's worth, we purchased the bike rack made for the pod. Factoring into our decision was weight distribution and sway. Also, we were told using a different one might void any warranty if it were to cause any damage. It cost a little more, but peace of mind is worth it. I wouldn't want anything to happen to Francois!
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
retireclose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 12:39pm
Gary and Jill Winters
Bella Golden Retriever
2014 Silverado 1500
2015 R-Pod 179 -(SOLD)
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 11:47am
I own a very expensive mountain bike. I also have a large collection of bike racks.
 I first tried a spare tire mounted rack.  With the bike on the rack I could bounce the bike quite a vertical distance...enough to be worried about the dynamic weight on the rear hitch.  The weight of the tire, rack and bike greatly increases when the rear of the Pod is bouncing on a 'roller-coaster' road.
I then removed the spare into the pickup TV and removed the tire rack. I replaced the tire rack with a bike rack.  This solved the weight problem. But then I realized that the mountain bike was now my rear bumper. 
I then went to the Pod's tongue...I have a carrier that can be bolted across two beams.  But since I dry camp quite often, I carry two batteries and two propane tanks.  There was not enough room to install a carrier. The Pod's curved front prohibited putting the bike forward of the batteries. The same with the carrier just to the rear of the propane tanks.
I ended up as several others did...storing the bike inside the Pod.  I have an aluminum c-channel which I use on the floor (but not attached to the floor) to keep the tires from sliding.  I use a couple of bungee cords to hold the bike upright.  It has traveled over some really bumpy roads without moving or damaging the Pod's interior.
In addition, the bike is secure from being stolen by a thief with a large bolt cutter.
TIDALWAVE
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:44pm
Seanl,

That's a clever idea and I am going to look into that.  I like the idea of being able to see the bikes.
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
catspaw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 6:58am
That would save room for sure.  I'll have to look into that since I mounted my 5W solar trickle charger to the jack post.  I also moved the spare to the hitch end of the pod by mounting it next to the propane tank parallel to the pod.  I could move the pole mount for the solar panel to the upright portion of the spare tire mount.  Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>