Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedREAR BUMPER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: REAR BUMPER
    Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 6:43pm
Last year I was at a campground, when a large fifth-wheeler came in.  They proceeded to back into their campsite which was about ten feet higher than the adjacent site behind them.  The wife hand-motioned the husband back.  As the rear tandem wheels rose over the back site blocks...the husband could not hear her yell to stop (the diesel pickup was very loud).  The neighbors down below found themselves nearly sitting underneath the tail-end of the trailer.  The wife continued to scream without any effect.  Finally another camper ran up to the driver and yelled at him to stop.
Another six inches and the trailer would have dropped down onto the other campers.   The driver was very angry at his wife because she didn't yell loud enough and then found out that the site was too short for his full rig anyway.
TIDALWAVE
SNO4ME View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Burt

Replying to your comment about wanting a rear bumper and including a sewer hose holder in it, which is common on many trailers.   I purchased the 15 foot expandable Rhino hose with all the attachments and then found out that there was no place to store it.  Located the original maker of the tiny storage tube on the tongue of the pod, found out they make one just for the Rhino hose with attachments, called the super tube.  It's about 60 inches long.

Then I realized there's no place to install the super tube and I sure didn't want to store it inside the storage compartments or haul it in the bed of the pickup.  The tongue would definitely not work for it.  So,after I got it, the real puzzle began.  After careful measurements, found the only place I could install it successfully without major mods is on the right side  forward of the sewer and grey water drains.  It is the perfect solution for the storage of the rhino hose super tube.  The factory mounts on the super tube worked perfectly.  After I checked the floor depth and outside edge material.  I gumpuckyed the fasteners all up good during and after installation just for water entry prevention.  The Rhino tube and all fittings go inside the new super tube storage nicely, it closes perfectly and is near where we will use it.

Retroreflectively, I could have installed it under the spare tire but would have to make some very special mounting hardware to accomplish that.  The way I put it in didn't put us through that endeavor.

Like you all, I also wish there was a bumper but our spare tire may help if I am a bad backer upper.

My wife always guides us in to the parking places OK, so I'm lucky.

Burt

A friend of mine and I were looking at the possibility of screwing a square (down spout) tube to the frame behind the axle for storing my 15 ft Rhino hose.  One of these days when I find some time I'd like to duct tape a piece in there to see how easy (or hard) it would be to get the Rhino hose out from the back.
Bruce & Donna in the Sno Pod
(and Brewer too)
2011 RP 177
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:06am
I used a pvc fence post cover from Lowes, cut to length and attached behind the fresh water tank and in front of the jacks. The cover and two caps were less than $20. Fits the rhino perfect.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 10:00am
The fence post mod should be easy to find as it's been posted several times, at least once with pictures. Some folks use a section of rain gutter inside the fence post because it makes a great slide out drawer. It holds the hose and end caps, but the elbow just won't fit in there. 

Do some searching here, but might be more info on the rPod Nation forum.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 10:17am
This is how I fixed the sewer hose problem

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3811&KW=&PID=36561&title=ground-clearance#36561

Moe

Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 11:12am
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 11:29am
The elbow fits in my fence post cover.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
DRKM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 5:55pm
Has Forest River addressed storage of the sewer hose in any way of late? I'm thinking the 177 or 181G might be in our future but...

Thanks,
Rick
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by DRKM

Has Forest River addressed storage of the sewer hose in any way of late? I'm thinking the 177 or 181G might be in our future but...

Thanks,
Rick

They have a sewer hose carrier on it that holds several brands and types of hoses and extenders.  It is usually the issue that the bigger sturdier hoses, the Rhino ones for example do not fit.  

Our old hose fit in the one that came on the Pod, my Rhino replacement did not. 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:56pm
I think the pack that we got with our Pod that included drain hose and the other accessories came from the dealer, not FR. I have successfully used that hose in hookups at the site and dump stations with no problems at all. At one camp site I had to lift and lower the hose to get the tanks to drain because the site's connections were so high, but no hose would have helped that.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>