R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Heater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Heater
    Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 7:45pm
Water heater explosion.  I'm still shaking.  I attempted to run the water heater on my electric but the reset button kept on coming on.  I decided to drain the tank, took off the heating element and drained the water.  Not realizing the gas was still partially on I fliped the electric switch by the heater to on.  A shot like a shotgun blew out of the hole and a light glow could be seen in the tank.  Thans when I looked at the gas tank.  Did I ruin the water heater?
Any advice?

Angry
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 9:16pm
Turning on the electric element with no water in the tank immediately burns it out.  With the anode rod removed I'm sure what you saw was a combination of steam expanding (explosively) along with the heating element itself disintegrating.  Even with your gas supply on there is no way for gas to flow unless the gas burner is actively burning - plus there is no way for gas to enter the water heater tank.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 7:52am
+1 for what Doug said. It won't be gas the gas heater is external to the tank. I do think you are going to need a new electric element. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 8:43am
+1 on the fact that what you described can't happen.

More importantly, after re-reading you post...

You were attempting to put it in elec. mode with the switch INSIDE the camper, and kept getting a "reset" light, correct?

That is because the inside switch ONLY controls the gas side of the water heater, and apparently you had the gas "off" so it couldn't light and gave an error light.

The on/off switch in the water heater compartment ONLY controls the elec. side of the water heater. And right there is a warning to NEVER turn on the elec. element without water in the tank. The glow you could see was that element over heating/burning out.

My guess is you removed the ANODE and not the heating element, which is a serious pain, I had to do it on the 'stream a couple years ago.

BTW, you can run the water heater in both modes to speed up recovery time after a shower or whatever.

The gas mode heats the water from OUTSIDE the tank, the elec. from INSIDE..
 Post Reply Post Reply