R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSelf-Adjusting Brakes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self-Adjusting Brakes?
    Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:45pm
Outbound, I agree. Nothing should be neglected. Remember manufacturers write half of what they do by the legal department. Bhamster gave his example, then admitted that the wheels had been flooded.

Of course PM should be done after extenuating circumstances. But I see people here with a 2013 171 out looking for someone to repack their wheel bearings and comparing prices, so money is an object.

I was just trying to interject some common sense and not cause people who have no mechanical experience to become paranoid that after 5000 miles their wheels are about to fall off. This is simply not true, unless there is extenuating circumstances.

The manufacturer also provides hubs with zerk fittings. Are these to be ignored? Perhaps not.

This is my first year with the pod, but not my first rodeo with towing. If pod owners have a spare $150, then get a REPUTABLE mechanic pull your hubs and inspect and repack them. If you get a jack leg who does not do it right (and yes there are lots of ways to do damage), then on a new trailer it is better left alone under normal conditions.

Ways to cause damage are improperly washing and hand packing the bearing set before reassembly, damaging and not replacing seals, getting grease on the brake drums or shoes (this can cause the wheel to seize and lock up) as well as not properly torqueing the castle nut or forgetting the cotter/retainer pin. All these things are far worse than leaving it alone for a while (not forever).
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

I went ahead and bought a second set of seals and hubs
'Slogger

A spare set of seals and bearings is a great idea. I am going to do this too. I think Slogger means bearings and not an entire hub.

Peace of mind is good.
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:56pm
Bearings and the hub "cap", which gets destroyed during the removal process for inspection (or bearing replacement)

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

Bearings and the hub "cap", which gets destroyed during the removal process for inspection (or bearing replacement)

'Slogger

Yep, like that too.. I am going to do it. With that and a can of grease I can repack my own if I lose a bearing.

Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 5:03pm
Yeah   ...after I found out what axle type I had I talked to a few mechanics in town and they said that the axles are generally not hard to source, even on the road - - but those bearings and hub caps can be a tad scarce. For the cost of parts it was worth having that back-up set in my tool box :-)

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Thinker

Bhamster gave his example, then admitted that the wheels had been flooded.

"Flooded" is a bit exaggerated... but enough rain water got in there to rust the bearings. The whole point of my post is that this happens (probably more often than you think) and the only way to find out is by doing a full inspection. Using the Zerk fitting will not catch failed caps or seals, nor will it tell you the condition of the bearings or brakes.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 6:20pm
Our pod goes to the dealer tomorrow for having the risers installed.  While there I am having them pack bearings and check brakes (and tires).  I hate sitting on the side of the road with troubles.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:54pm
I am guessing we have maybe 1000 miles on our pod since new. I pulled the rubber plugs and inspected the outer wheel bearing area, nothing but grease. I think it is wise to check but to repack wheel bearings every year is maybe unnecessary. Now if you are going across country and back, yes. Automobiles that have front wheel bearings that can be repacked such as a 1995 or so chevy pickup up truck the manufacture recommends every 30,000. miles. the wheel bearing loading on the pod is probably higher than passenger cars and needs to be checked periodically, if it makes you feel better to pack every year, it does no harm.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Rey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:54am
I have Lippert self adjusting brakes.  I am replacing them with Dexter 10x2 manual adjusted brakes for the following reasons.  They are impossible to get balanced braking, they do not share the braking equally.  The brakes alternated from one side to the other with 2/3 one side and 1/3 on the other.  There is possible drag on the side that got self adjusted last.  They cause sway due to uneven braking.  Check your wheels for the amount of brake and magnet residue on them after each trip, you may find one side has more than the other.  That was my first indication that the brakes were not sharing equally.  Take a temperature reading and compare the results.  When they are adjusted manually, you are confident that there is no drag, and get better gas mileage.
bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Rey

I have Lippert self adjusting brakes.  I am replacing them with Dexter 10x2 manual adjusted brakes

Sorry to hear that. Why not just disable the self adjusting feature instead of replacing the whole thing?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>