R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Brake Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Brake Adjustment
    Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 12:10pm
I need to adjust the brakes on the Pod.
Watched the videos and seems simple enough, locate the plug on the brake assembly, remove plug and then rotate the star mechanism up towards the tire.

That's all find and well but I have two of the same plugs on the Rpod brake assembly.  Admittedly I haven't taken them off and tried to look inside which might in fact answer my question for me but I haven't had the time to check them to see if I can figure them out.

So has anyone adjust their electric brakes themselves on the assembly and does your Pod have one or two of the plugs that cover the star mechanism that you use to tighten them?

Anyone shed some light on this?  Can't find any vids that show an assembly having 2 different plugs on it.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 1:02pm
    It has been awhile so I don't remember which plug to remove. I have to use a flashlight to kind of look inside, I think that it is the plug on the rear side of the drum, you will be able to feel the teeth on the adjusting wheel.  I bought a brake adjusting tool which made it easier than using a wide blade screwdriver. I would recommend lifting the tire off of the ground so you can spin the wheel to see when the brake starts to drag and then back off just a little. I then have my wife step on the brake in the car to make sure that the electric brake is doing its job. I don't hook up the hitch just the 7-way power cord.
   These brakes have the auto adjusting feature built into them so the only time that I readjust is when I have taken the hub off to grease the bearings.
   Hopes this will help you.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 9:46am
I did just recently take the hubs off to do the wheel bearings and stuff and afterwards was when I noticed that my brakes might need some adjusting.

I've seen the plug on the back of the brake drum but there are two of them there, side by side not half an inch away from one another.  So I'm still left wondering if they are the same, different, or what.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 3:07pm
Dang son!! just open them, look with a flashlight...

The one with the star adjuster is the right one.

LOL
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 3:54pm
Dumb question    ...what is the "test" to determine whether your brakes need adjustment ? When I apply the brakes in the Tacoma the brake controller immediately starts to display a value and I can feel a definite "assist" in overall braking of the tow vehicle/camper unit.

Oh yeah, and is there a procedure for adjusting them yourselves or is this a big hassle (other than determining which hole to access on the brake drum, that is). I haven't turned a "starwheel" and adjusted drum brakes for years   ...but I still have my "spoon".

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 7:07pm

One way to tell is by using only the manual brake lever on your brake controller (don't use your brake pedal) to see if the pod pulls left or right when you apply its brakes.  If it doesn't pull either way then you are probably fine.  If you don't feel any braking action or a lowered braking action first turn up the dial on your brake controller.  If that doesn't work then that may also mean you need to adjust them.

Adjust both wheels.  It isn't hard.  Jack up one side so the wheel turns free and open that little plug.  Turn the wheel slowly while you turn the star (I forget which way) until the wheel locks up.  Then turn the star the other way slightly until the wheel turns free again.  Repeat on the other side.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:20am
Someone had posted that they thought that the Rpods had automatic brake adjusters.  Is that correct?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by furpod

Dang son!! just open them, look with a flashlight...

The one with the star adjuster is the right one.

LOL

I thought you were a PhP!  Tongue  Where is the help and support?  LOLLOL

I'm going to do just that.  Had just been waiting for the weekend because I didn't feel like changing out of work clothes during the week and climbing under the wheel to do the looking.  Figured in the meantime if someone knew the answer I'd save myself from second guessing is all!

Likely will have the results and answer to the two hole question once I get out to do the weekend's yard work and and "honey do" list.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 1:03pm
That WAS pHp.. the Friday version. lol

I figured you would call or e-mail or something if you want REAL help..

Let me know..

Although I am confused about "changing out of work clothes".. so you can work..Wink
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Someone had posted that they thought that the Rpods had automatic brake adjusters.  Is that correct?  Safe Travels.
Automatic adjusters usually work when you back up and apply (pump) the brakes in TV.  A lot easier than crawling under a Pod ... THAT IS IF THEY HAVE THEM! I'm waiting for an answer too.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>