R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is your ideal inside Pod temperature?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your ideal inside Pod temperature?
    Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 9:22am
I was just curious, but what is your favorite interior Pod temperature?  What temperature do you like to set the thermostat for cold and warm weather?  I was thinking 72 in the fall or early winter and 70 in the heat of the summer.
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 11:18am
Hard to say in the early spring and late fall, we usually use ceramic heaters and let it get a little cooler - we have heavy clothes on anyway since we spend most time outside or in heavy sleeping bags. 

When the A/C is going it is usually 74 during the day but 65 at night.  The A/C is so oversized for the space that it won't run long enough to remove the humidity created by 4 people if it is kept warmer.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 11:23am
  77 day and night when we stay in AZ. Anything lower is to cold.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 1:24pm
I keep my campers and my home at 69-degrees all year long, whether that means we turn on the AC or Heater, it doesn't matter.  Whatever's required to maintain 69.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Mike_n_Deb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by techntrek

The A/C is so oversized for the space that it won't run long enough to remove the humidity created by 4 people if it is kept warmer.
That's an interesting comment that has also crossed my mind. Why is it such an oversized unit?

Surely something in the 5k to 7k Btu range would be adequate and more economical, in initial cost, electricity, and weight. Might also allow realistic use of a single 2kw generator.

.......Mike
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 6:40pm

5000 btu would probably be the best size, considering it is only about 100 square feet and very well insulated.  I think the problem is the only room to mount an A/C on the pod is on the ceiling, and 11500 btu is the smallest they make them.  I've gone round and round on another thread considering options that would work in about the 5000 btu size.

The tent-end pods probably don't have the humidity issue since they can "breathe", like popups.

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Mike_n_Deb

The A/C is so oversized for the space that it won't run long enough to remove the humidity created by 4 people if it is kept warmer.
That's an interesting comment that has also crossed my mind. Why is it such an oversized unit?

Surely something in the 5k to 7k Btu range would be adequate and more economical, in initial cost, electricity, and weight. Might also allow realistic use of a single 2kw generator.

.......Mike

Yes all of the 5K Btu units for RVs are wall mounts which will not work on the RPod. Once I ran and electric heater and the air conditioner to get all of the moisture out of the air. Can't do that on a generator. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 8:28pm

The tent-end pods probably don't have the humidity issue since they can "breathe", like popups.

I have a 176T and what I found very effective for ventilation and humid air was to crack the tent windows (zippers) for a 2-3 inch openning and then turn the bathroom vent on.  HOWEVER,  I would usually get up 1-2 AM and turn off the fan because it got cooler.

What would REALLY BE NICE is a TIMER ON THE BATHROOM FAN.   FR are you listening? Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

I haven't camped in a cold season yet ... And I'm not sure a tent would release much moisture unless the windows were open - same as in a non-tent RP.

Forgot to mention that when the Pod was hot, setting the AC on AUTO and at a specific temp, when the temp is reached, the AC shuts off ... I didn't need to get up and turn it off as the morning air was now cooler.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 8:35pm
A creative way to get the humidity out but not be frozen, not that it is energy efficient.  Wink
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:49am
I was wondering if the reason for the oversized AC units was to provide sufficient cooling for trailers in exposed places. Places lik AZ, WA, Montana, IA, midwest or centrel US (west of the Alleghenies) and even Midwestern Canada, where tree cover isn't as common as it is here in the east and a camper is very exposed to the sun. The heat load must be intense compared to our common experience with room AC units -where we are cooling one room of a house with usually R30 in the ceiling ( or another room above) and R15 or better in the walls and common walls with other interior rooms, not an isolated box exposed on all sides, including the bottom.
Just a thought...
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>