Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntro and Question re: Wallmarting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro and Question re: Wallmarting
    Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 11:26pm

Hello, this is my first post. Been reading the back pages here for about a week or so. At this point I almost feel like I already own a Pod.

Deb and I are still in the deciding phase, as in, do we 'really' want to do this RV camping thing. We are heading to a nearby dealer tomorrow morning for our first look at an Rpod 177. Actually it'll be our first look at an RV of any kind, not counting many boats over the years and quite a bit of tent camping.

Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4dr Sport w/tow group. 3.6L auto, 3.73 rear, 350/3500 capacity, front mounted 8k winch.

Our intention, after some backyard camping and a couple 'shakedown weekends', is an extended 'see America' cruise from NY to AZ and back. After that probably just shorter trips here in the northeast a few times a year.

Soooo...

The biggest unknown for me is what I gather is called 'Wallmart camping'. How feasible is it to just 'take off' without reservations at official campgrounds and pull over at the end of a day in a parking lot or rest area to spend the night? My suspicion is it's probably a good way to meet a lot of local cops in the middle of the night who will tell us to 'move along, you can't stay here'.

So is impromptu 'Wallmarting' and/or rest areas a viable strategy, or should we plan to leapfrog from campground to campground out to AZ, and back? I have to say the idea of pre-planning and advance reserving every nights stay of a 1 month trip sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Thanks for any and all comments.

.........Mike

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 1:27am
The only reservations we ever get are for the place we want to land.  Stops along the way we just go and stop at a campground that looks OK when we feel like stopping.  There are lots of campgrounds in America (Canada too!) and unless its a holiday weekend there are sites available.  In Wisconsin rest areas will let you sleep in your Pod as long as you don't set up camp.  I don't know about other states.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Mike_n_Deb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 2:16am

Thanks for the reply. That does sound like the way to do it. Make a list of potential campgrounds along the route and look for free solutions if/when nothing else is available. Our 'landing' won't be a problem cuz it'll probably be at one of three relative's driveways in Tucson.

Now we just have to get over the uncertainty hump. We could do the AZ/sightseeing trip via motels. The question we're struggling with is whether we'll use the pod after that trip or will it become an expensive lawn ornament.

We both enjoyed tent camping, from a motorcycle even, but that was years ago and we're past the age where setting up tents and sleeping on the ground is enjoyable, or even possible. I guess we're just afraid we might be caught up in the fantasy and excitement of buying a new toy. Not sure if looking at a 177 today is gonna make that better or worse. :)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 4:23am
I second Keith & Dar's comments.  I've never done the Walmart thing.  The rest stops (around here) tend to be overflowing with 18 wheelers, so that could be an issue.  Finding one with an empty spot and then, if you do, listening to idling diesel motors all night isn't my idea of a good time.  I check the map for 2 or 3 potential State Parks or KOA's in the distance that I plan to travel the next day.  I favor the KOA's as they are usually close to the highway and have sites available.  Personally, I don't see the need to pay the $$$ for full hook-ups, when I am just wanting to bed down for the night.  So, it's not too hard on the wallet.

To buy or not to buy......
I usually spend 4-6 weeks (in total) per year camping.  If I did any less than that, I would get rid of it.  The cost & effort of buying/owning/maintaining would not justify it, to me.  Even at that, it spends 10-11 months of the year sitting in the driveway.  I own mine (paid for) however, it still costs money to insure and maintain.  Gasoline, at $4 per gallon and getting 10-11 mpg's..........a trip to the Rocky's cost about $1000 in fuel alone.  On a 5 night stay, this is $200 per night!

It is a question we all have faced when buying for the first time or trading/upsizing, etc.  IMHO, from a strictly financial viewpoint, it makes no sense to own one.  The question becomes (as you mention) will you actually USE (and enjoy) it enough to justify the expense?  Only you can answer.  Good luck! 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 8:51am
We try to get out at least a month a year.  This year we will be a little short of that.  One of the reasons we camp is that we take our dogs along with us, and can do that staying in our Pod (and our van before that).  Many hotels will not allow pets.  We also like staying in our pod, and the easy setup is part of it.  I am not sure that we save bunches of money, but we enjoy camping, and choose to do it in our Pod.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 10:12am
Hi,
Walmart stores have started to change their policies, so not all allow overnights. I, for one, would not like to stay there. We have stayed in service areas, tucked in among the truckers and have felt very secure. The last two times we were out for a long trip, we stayed a couple of times in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel. Just ask the manager when you roll in. Their parking lots are well lit and fairly level. Plus, you can eat there too!
   We were tent campers and after retirement progressed to RVing since we travel with our two pugs. If you don't want to make the leap of purchasing, you might want to consider renting an RV. We see the rental ones quite often when on the road.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 10:31am
I have to agree with the comments of David and Keith and Paige.
There is a list of Walmarts that allow or don't allow camping in the campgrounds topic back in January. There is also a thread about free campgrounds in the Nation forum camping section.
So far this summer, it has been our experience that state park campgrounds, county park campgrounds and even private ones are almost empty during the week. The exception is holidays as mentioned.

Good luck making your decision. However, I think that you might find that the 177 is pushing the limit of tow capacity for your Jeep. Our Dakota with the 3.7 l V6 struggles in just the hills in north Jersey or central PA with our 171, which is about 400 lbs lighter than the 177.
We love our Pod, we wonder why we lived in tents for so long!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 11:38am
Welcome. We made two trips last year which required a stay at a Walmart, so I investigated it and alternatives quite a bit. Someone mentioned Cracker Barrel, another is Cabellas, also commercial truck stops like Flying J and Loves. The key for all of them is, also as mentioned, to check with the manager first. Commercial truck stops often ask you to park away from the truckers, the other places usually have specific areas in their lot for campers. A key is having a cell phone data plan. When we were ready to stop we would check google maps to see upcoming town names then we would hop on Walmarts site to see if those towns had a store and how close to the highway it was. Finally we would call the store and ask customer service what their camping policy is. Both times there were multiple rvs already there and we felt safe. One place had roving security all night. Probably an indicator of what the neighborhood was like, but with security there and other campers we didnt feel unsafe. One was right next to the highway and that was annoying with the windows open. If I did it again (likely with US tours we are starting next summer) I would make sure the store was away from the highway a bit.

Leave slides closed, no chairs or anything else outside. Stay hitched - partly for safety so if you need to leave fast you just need to hop in the TV and go. At most I would only put the tongue jack down to level a bit and stabilize. No need for the stabilizers with the jack down and since you are hitched (in a real emergency I wouldnt even put the jack back up, it can be replaced). A tongue mounted generator is questionable for Walmart camping - but I wouldnt mount one there on a pod anyway due to vibration, noise and carbon dioxide.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 11:40am
By the way, if you decide on a 171 instead (same general layout but without a slide), mine is for sale.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 11:46am
   Like Keith-N-Dar we are gone for a month a year in ours and make our way just north of Tucson to Casa Grande in Sept. and Oct. Because of my work days (nights) weekend camping just is not possible so we put the cover over it and put it next to the barn (yard ornament).We do get out on the long summer holidays and did go once this summer with the grand kids in the middle of the week. We look at it this way, spending 1 month in the POD is like spending 15 weekends in the trailer which covers every weekend throughout the whole summer.
  Not big on Walmart camping, we like to stop before sunset and have a lite dinner and a glass of wine and watch the colors in the sky. In Sept. and Oct. there are not many RV's on the road so campgrounds are pretty empty where we travel. The only reservation that we make is in Casa Grande and even at that park it is quiet as the snowbirds have not flown south yet.
   You have an advantage as it sounds as though you and your wife have camped quite a bit, mine really was not into this RV trailer thing but after taking a looksee at one she was hooked.
     Good luck.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>