Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntro and Question re: Wallmarting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro and Question re: Wallmarting
    Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:19am
Yes most WDH say you need class III hitch. I had to change mine from a class two to a class three. Reece has a 350/3500 pound lite duty hitch with sway control that will work with a class two as long as it has a 2 inch receiver.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Mike_n_Deb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 1:48pm

Huh, that's a couple things I hadn't noticed. Both the WDH requirement and the fact the factory hitch on my jeep is only class II. Of course at the time I ordered the jeep I had no thoughts about a travel trailer. I needed it to haul firewood on a utility trailer which even the old 2dr Wrangler did no problem. That musta been a class I, it had an 1 1/4 inch receiver and only 2000lbs capacity.

Guess I'll be looking into that light duty Reece first. Really not thrilled with the idea of swapping out the factory hitch.

Thanks for the heads up.

......Mike

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:55pm

Ok, I looked at the Reese 350 and I kinda like it, but the Q&A in one of the listings still suggests that class 3 should be used. Could be class 2 hitches aren't designed to handle the torsion load applied by a WDH. I'm gonna have to crawl under the jeep and take a look.

.........Mike

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:11pm

Well I looked under the jeep and I think I definitely need a heavier receiver to use WDH of any type. The factory installed receiver is just bolted to the center of the last square tube crossmember of the jeeps frame. There is no 'extra' structure to transfer the WDH twisting load to the frame side rails. Eventually the crossmember to side rail welds would probably fail from torsion flex.

Oh well, it's only money. :)

........Mike

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:27pm
The mounting location on the vehicle will probably be the same.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 9:02pm
I looked it up and the class III does bolt to the same place as the class II. It is just made out of heavier Steel. I am guessing the cross member is welded in well. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:20am
Maybe it's just my way of thinking, however, I'd think that the factory installed the max hitch that the vehicle could safely handle.  Replacing what you have with a heavier hitch is asking for troubles as far as I'm concerned.  Not only are you taking a risk for you, but your putting other motorists at risk if you continue down this path.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Paige View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 9:37am
When we bought our Rav we had the heavy duty tow package installed. It was approved by the Toyota dealer. It is what we did for our previous Rav when we were towing a popup trailer.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Maybe it's just my way of thinking, however, I'd think that the factory installed the max hitch that the vehicle could safely handle.  Replacing what you have with a heavier hitch is asking for troubles as far as I'm concerned.  Not only are you taking a risk for you, but your putting other motorists at risk if you continue down this path.
this_is_nascar...I appreciate the concern BUT what you're saying would only be true if I was installing a heavier receiver to accomodate a load over the vehicle rating.

If my jeep, as-is, is rated to pull an rpod (which it is) then increasing the load rating of the receiver is absolutely not a safety concern. Probably quite the opposite. The factory installed a receiver 'adequate' for the rated tow load of the vehicle. As long as the max tow load is not exceeded an overrated receiver should actually be 'safer'.

.......Mike
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Mike_n_Deb

Originally posted by this_is_nascar

this_is-nascar...I appreciate the concern BUT what you're saying would only be true if I was installing a heavier receiver to accomodate a load over the vehicle rating.

If my jeep, as-is, is rated to pull an rpod (which it is) then increasing the load rating of the receiver is absolutely not a safety concern. Probably quite the opposite. The factory installed a receiver 'adequate' for the rated tow load of the vehicle. As long as the max tow load is not exceeded an overrated receiver should actually be 'safer'.

.......Mike

Gotcha....  I thought you were "super-sizing" to allow for an increased load.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>