Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro and Question re: Wallmarting
    Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:27pm
The mounting location on the vehicle will probably be the same.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Mike_n_Deb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:11pm

Well I looked under the jeep and I think I definitely need a heavier receiver to use WDH of any type. The factory installed receiver is just bolted to the center of the last square tube crossmember of the jeeps frame. There is no 'extra' structure to transfer the WDH twisting load to the frame side rails. Eventually the crossmember to side rail welds would probably fail from torsion flex.

Oh well, it's only money. :)

........Mike

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:55pm

Ok, I looked at the Reese 350 and I kinda like it, but the Q&A in one of the listings still suggests that class 3 should be used. Could be class 2 hitches aren't designed to handle the torsion load applied by a WDH. I'm gonna have to crawl under the jeep and take a look.

.........Mike

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 1:48pm

Huh, that's a couple things I hadn't noticed. Both the WDH requirement and the fact the factory hitch on my jeep is only class II. Of course at the time I ordered the jeep I had no thoughts about a travel trailer. I needed it to haul firewood on a utility trailer which even the old 2dr Wrangler did no problem. That musta been a class I, it had an 1 1/4 inch receiver and only 2000lbs capacity.

Guess I'll be looking into that light duty Reece first. Really not thrilled with the idea of swapping out the factory hitch.

Thanks for the heads up.

......Mike

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:19am
Yes most WDH say you need class III hitch. I had to change mine from a class two to a class three. Reece has a 350/3500 pound lite duty hitch with sway control that will work with a class two as long as it has a 2 inch receiver.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
GypsyEdie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 3:17am
A few years back when we had a class B motor home, we traveled from Florida to Arizona pretty inexpensive as far as camping.  We joined Passport America which gives you 50% off the regular rates and they send you a book with a list of their campgrounds.  Without making any in advance plans, we would check about 1 hour before we wanted to stop for the night, in the book, call the campground and asked if they had space.  These were campgrounds that were close to the highway.  They always said yes and were very cheap.  If the rate was 20, we paid 10.  And to save additional money we stayed every other night at a Flying J, which lets you park there for free.  We have a GPS and it would tell us where the closest Flying J was located.  We never stayed at Walmart.  We only drove about 6 hours per day so it took us about 10 days to get there but we had fun and sometimes stayed 2 days if we liked a place.
Gypsy Edie & Joe
A Yorkie named Kona
2013 R-Pod 177 named Gypsy Pod
2005 Toyota 4 runner
Cedar Key, FL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 9:26pm

Yeah I knew about needing a brake controller but maybe I'm wrong about the class hitch installed (just read it off the jeep website which I thought said class II).

In any case I had the factory 'tow group' (hitch, wiring, and 3.73 gears) installed when I ordered the vehicle (there was no heavier duty option available) and will be very annoyed to find out it's not adequate for towing an rpod. It certainly 'looks' adequate and I would expect it to 'be' adequate for the vehicle limit. If it's not I'm gonna have words with the jeep dealer.

Or is it that WDH systems only work on class III hitches?

.........Mike
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 8:22pm
You will need a class III hitch installed as well as a brake controller also.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:46pm

Hi Sean.

I have noticed a few folks using the Liberty. I had to go back to the Jeep website to compare it to my Unlimited. I agree, the power is there in the Unlimited, but the Liberty does have a 5000lbs rating and class III hitch vs 3500 and class II in the Wrangler.

I'm guessing the lower rating of the Unlimited is probably due to it's high ground clearance offroad design and handling qualities not power issues. I had the 2 door Wrangler with the straight six 4.0L engine for 14 years before this one. The new 2012 3.6L v6 with 5 speed auto trans puts it to shame on the highway. The 4.0L had plenty of low end power but virtually no accelleration.

I do intend to go with a WDH/sway system if/when we decide to buy the rpod. And I've pretty well resigned myself to the idea of cruising in the 50-60 mph range for saftey and gas mileage.

........Mike

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 11:51am
   I don't drive but 2 to 3 hours at a time and stop to walk and move around after having a knee replaced. Not good for the blood flow to sit a long time.    Goose 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>