R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHonda Generator at altitude

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda Generator at altitude
    Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Goose

I found out this summer that my generator would not run the A/C on the POD. It's an older Onan contractor unit (built in 72, the year I graduated high school) that says it puts out 2500 watts but.....it would not do the job. It takes 2 1/2 men to lift it and after dragging it down to the POD was not happy that it did not work as planned, we are at around 700 ft above sea level.   Goose  Cry

My 3000 watt does not even hiccup when the compressor comes on on the AC.  It shows down a little when the microwave and AC are on at the same time. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:52am
When you become more senior in age, lifting, becomes more of a factor.  I would love to have a larger generator while camping, but don't think the two of us could lift it.  And even if we could, storing a 3kw generator in our tv would be a problem.  So either we get full hookups wherever, or camp in cooler climates.  Do have a 5.5 kw in the garage on wheels for the occasional power outage here, and a plug on the side of the garage that feeds the transfer switch in the basement.  So good with major outages.  Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:20pm
The good news is that rarely at high altitude do you need air conditioning at night to sleep.  An open window is normally good enough even on the hottest days in the mountains, so the generator is not essential.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

When you become more senior in age, lifting, becomes more of a factor.  I would love to have a larger generator while camping, but don't think the two of us could lift it.  And even if we could, storing a 3kw generator in our tv would be a problem.  So either we get full hookups wherever, or camp in cooler climates.  Do have a 5.5 kw in the garage on wheels for the occasional power outage here, and a plug on the side of the garage that feeds the transfer switch in the basement.  So good with major outages.  Safe Travels. 

========================

I hear ya about the weight and lifting stuff. It doesn't mix well with a heart condition. We bought the Honda EU2000i this year and have used it on several occasions. Given our low humidity out West here, we rarely would ever need A/C and the 2000 powers everything else - - so for now, we're content. If we start to travel back East during the summer months we may consider adding the EU2000 Companion. We're light packers and both would fit in the back of the Tacoma.

We shoot for full hook-ups but have found out there that some of the nicer/pristine campsites are "primitive" in nature. We run the generator for about an hour in the morning and 2 hours at night. That gives us all of the 110V we need and keeps our battery topped off. We like the freedom the generator gives us to extend a trip for 4-5 days where hook-ups are not available.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:36pm
Footslogger, we are right in lockstep with your comments.  As far as needing an A/C at altitude, Keith-N-Dar are correct.  Just wanted to try it at altitude and see if the Honda could carry the load.  The first night it dropped to 29 degrees.  During the day it was a very pleasant 70-75 degrees.  So hope that gives everyone enough info to make an informed decision.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

I understand that. I can barely lift my 3k generator
Sean
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:16pm
I found the numbers for altitude/temperature in my Generac owner's manual:

Maximum power decreases about 3.5 percent for each 1,000 feet above sea level; and also will decrease about 1 percent for each 6° C (10° F) above 16° C (60° F) ambient temperature

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:26pm
To recap. Took our 171 up to 6,500' with the larger Supco starting capacitor installed in our 13,500 btu A/C unit. Started our brand new Honda 2000i and let it come up to speed. Then turned on the A/C. The generator shut down. Showed an overload fault on the generator. So at altitude it doesn't have the power to operated the A/C. Then took them home and parked the 171 in our driveway which is at 512'. Tried the same experiment and got the same results. Soooo, I'm guessing that a 2KW generator even with a larger starting capacitor installed in the A/C, will not operate the A/C. Bummer! Anyway, there is the upcoming Seaside Rpod meet in Sept. Have a full hookup and being on the beach don't expect to need A/C, but can run it if we have to. Hope to see many of you there. Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:29pm
Guess I'll hold off on the capacitor mod and save up for a 2000 Companion then    ...to run paralell with my 2000i - - when and if we ever need A/C.

Thanks for the update.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12