Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRookie nerves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rookie nerves
    Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 10:33pm
This is for first time trailer haulers. When you get out on the highways and things don't feel comfortable when you're towing, be sure to take your Pod to the dealer and have things checked out. I have gone on 6 trips around my area, and with each trip I experienced a few "white knuckle" moments when I felt like I was fighting with my trailer, especially when it was windy. I thought it was just my inexperience, and figured I was just being a baby about towing, as I have equalizer bars on my trailer. I've never gone over 85-90kms an hour while traveling, because there was too much movement from my trailer. My last trip was the point where I thought "Ok, something has to change, this isn't right." I wondered if towing wasn't for me, and if I would have to get rid of my RPod and get a motorhome. When I took into my dealer here in Kamloops (South Thompson RV) I gave them the keys and told them to take it out. They returned very shortly, and informed my that there was something wrong, that was NOT what towing should feel like, and why had I not come to them sooner. I was in big trouble with them. I explained I didn't know something was wrong, I thought it was my problem, not the trailer. Needless to say, they spent quite a bit of time adjusting the ball and equalizer bars, and after a few more test drives added a sway bar. Things seem better now, and I'll be trying it out again in a couple of weeks. So please don't hesitate to go in and have things checked if it seems like something isn't right, you don't want to be an accident waiting to happen like I was!!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 10:43pm
Sorry to hear you've had some white-knuckle towing experiences.  I had them all the time with our popup so I understand.  If I read this right, you now have an Equalizer weight distribution hitch AND a sway bar?  That shouldn't be necessary.  For starters most here will agree that the pods tow very stably - I didn't add a WDH (with sway control) to mine for a year.  And if you have an Equalizer you really shouldn't need a sway bar, too.  That WDH has a ton of sway control built-in.  The related E2 doesn't have as much but still has some (I have that one).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 3:31am
Makes me wonder if the axle wasn't installed correctly.  Slim chance but something is wrong some where.  What are you towing with?

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
burge16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:44am
I'm towing with a 2010 Ford Escape. My understanding is I may be having trouble because it has a short wheel base.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 11:29am
  A longer wheel base does help as does having a TV that is a little heavier than the Escape.  Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 4:43pm
I own and Escape too, and wouldnt pull my Pod with it.  

X
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:24pm
For a year and a half I towed my pod with a Toyota Sienna (short wheelbase), and I pulled a much heavier popup for years before that.  My popup absolutely required sway control and I still had white knuckles all the time.  As I mentioned above, I didn't use anything at all during that year and a half.  Like Terry I think something else is going on.  Did you often tow with the water tank full?  Make sure your pod's tires were inflated to their maximum sidewall pressure?  Same with your truck's tires while towing (personally I leave mine several pounds lower for ride comfort, but only a few)?  Did you load a bunch of stuff in the front of the pod - or in the rear?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:48pm
   Good questions Doug, they all could make a difference.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
burge16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:49pm
Wow, lots to know and think about! Yes, sometimes I traveled with full water because we were going somewhere in the bush so no hookups available. I've been really conscious about weight so I don't load too much in either the trailer or my suv. I haven't checked the tire pressure on the trailer ever, I'll have to see if the recommended pressure is written down somewhere. My SUV is rated for 3500 lbs, and the dry weight of the pod was 2410, so I thought I would be ok. I know a full water tank would add 250lbs, and that's why I try and not add a lot of weight, cause I don't have much wiggle room. Puts getting a generator out of the question I think.
burge16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:51pm
I noticed you own an explorer sport trac, and wondered how you like it? I was looking at one just recently.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>