R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDry Camping duration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry Camping duration
    Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 10:37am

Interesting Dry Camp with water? We use our P-Pod to camp on open fields all the time for 2-3 day weekends. Last weekend we ran the battery down and lost heat. That night it went down below freezing waking us both up. I hooked up the Chrysler and ran it for a hour to bring to battery up. Should have brought our LP generator along. Also I think I should have connected it up at home the day before to fully charge the battery and get the fridge ready for beer. Over the winter I’d like to add a second battery to help us through the cold nights.

Paul & Lois w/Whippets
Chrysler 2010 4L
R-Pod 177
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 10:47am
For us it's always the battery that dies first bc we like to keep the fan on low to help with the condensation.  Now we have a battery powered fan that we run if we're not using the showers and need that extra power from the bathroom fan.  We get maybe 1 full night's use of the battery if we run the bathroom fan before the battery gets low enough to trip the annoying propane alarm.

We also find that we are limited more by the capacity of the grey tanks more than that of the fresh water tank.  Not doing dishes in the pod helps tremendously.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 7:58am
If your discharging the battery enough that your tripping the alarms, etc, you won't get more that a couple seasons off that battery.  Not sure if you knew that or not.  This is not like a cell phone battery.  Running it to empty a bunch of times will kill that battery, for good, in no time at all.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 8:06am
I've heard that about a standard lead-acid "car" battery, but is the same thing true for a deep cycle
battery?  Someone told me our deep cycle battery is not harmed by total discharge.

Think I'll Google a battery site.  I'll let you know what I find.

(From a web site "Deep Cycle Batteries FAQ"):

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged down as much as 80% time after time, and have much thicker plates. The major difference between a true deep cycle battery and others is that the plates are SOLID Lead plates - not sponge. This gives less surface area, thus less "instant" power like starting batteries need. Although these an be cycled down to 20% charge, the best lifespan vs cost method is to keep the average cycle at about 50% discharge.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 11:36am
I'm a regular member of a solar forum, where members live off-grid all the time.  The consensus is to go to 50% depth-of-discharge (DOD) most of the time, with an occasional dip to 70%.  Never go beyond 70%.  See the voltage chart on this FAQ (about 2/3 of the way down with all the colors) :  http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

70% DOD = 30% state-of-charge (SOC), as shown on that table.  Below that you risk damaging the battery.  Going all the way to "total discharge" will kill the battery after 2-3 times.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 6:46am
Here's an excellent article about this topic.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
pcobelcz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 9:13pm
Thanks for the tip I did hit bottom.
Paul & Lois w/Whippets
Chrysler 2010 4L
R-Pod 177
Raven729 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 8:47am
newbie : how do you "pre-load" the hot water heater?
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 9:31am
The R Pod water heater holds approximately 6 gallons.  Pre-loading is talking about filling the water heater , the plumbing lines and the fresh water tank from your home location prior to traveling. Be aware that  the fresh water tank on most pods is in front of the axle and if full  will increase the tongue weight as well as the overall weight of the Pod.

We  camp most of the time without services directly at the camp site.   We travel with just a few gallons of water in the tank and carry a hose and 5 gallon container with us in the tow vehicle.  Once we get to the destination(or as close as possible) we will fill the fresh water holding tank.  If we need to refill it, we use the 5 gallon container, fill it at a remote location and then dump it into the fresh water tank. We don't use the water heater as it takes a lot of wasted water to get the hot water to the kitchen sink  location.  When we wash dishes, we simply heat a quart of water on the propane cooktop. Showers are generally available at the campground.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 9:54am
I carry a blue water cube where I can get water without moving the R-pod. We do dishes in a pan in the sink to allow pitching wash water (with biopdegradeable soap) Running the frig on propane should be the first thing in saving battery. I worried about running out of propane until I experienced that hot water, a little heat in the AM and running the frig on propane have little impact and I estimate I would get 3-4 weeks on a full bottle.  A trick to know how much propane you have left is to slowly pour about a quart of hot water on one side of the tank. Then feel downward and when the warm metal turns cold, that's the level of your propane.  Allows for SWAN. 
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>