Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHamradion in the r,pod - Event Date: 17 Aug 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hamradion in the r,pod
    Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 7:33pm
Hallo R,poders ,I got my pod 177 now for8 month did all the mods you can think of .Now it's time to get back to my 40 y hobby ,Hamradio.i have a 100, tower at home ,but i think it won! fit on the pod.So my question is? Has some podder a ham rig in his machine,I would like to know what transmitter,and more so the antennae and grounding system.I am looking forward to your replay,73 Manfred kh6rp 
Manrocker Kh6rp
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:14pm
Welcome.  One of the mods here is a ham, he talks about his rig starting about half-way down on this page:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2275&KW=&PN=1&title=my-1930s-radio-new-pics
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:28pm
I am also a Ham, but so far no radio in the rig.  I have a 706 with a wire tuner, and may start with that and a chunk of wire in the trees.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 5:48am
Originally posted by manrocker

Hallo R,poders ,I got my pod 177 now for8 month did all the mods you can think of .Now it's time to get back to my 40 y hobby ,Hamradio.i have a 100, tower at home ,but i think it won! fit on the pod.So my question is? Has some podder a ham rig in his machine,I would like to know what transmitter,and more so the antennae and grounding system.I am looking forward to your replay,73 Manfred kh6rp 

KH6RP de WA9DU

Hello!  Tech was kind enough to point you towards my pics/setup.  All in all, it seems to work about as well as a typical mobile/vehicle setup.  I can hear them about as well as they can hear me.  I like the setup for the convenience and ease of setup and operating.

Grounding is something I continue to experiment with.  I have tried - no ground at all, grounding to the chassis of the camper, grounding to an earth ground and, both of the aforementioned.  Believe it or not, no grounding at all seems to work about as well as any (much like a car isn't "earth grounded").  My "theory" is that the setup acts like a verticle dipole as it is sensitive to the lenght to the painter's pole.  It tunes best with the pole fully extended on 40 meters.  On 10 meters, it tunes best with the pole retracted to 8 feet, or so. 

The 12' pole (3 - 4' sections) is aluminum and I purchased it at Lowes.  Though aluminum, it is not conductive along it's lenght or, even each section - it must be coated with lacquer (or something).  I attached a lenght of 1/2" braid connecting the top and bottom sections with self tapping screws.  The antenna mount/clamp was ordered from AES.  It is the type used by truckers to mount antennas to their side mirrors. 

Breaking down, I unscrew the ATAS from the pole, retract the sections (with the braid and RG-58 coax attached).  I use a few velcro "wire wraps" to to secure everything to the pole.  Both pieces fit nicely in the front storage compartment. 

For earth grounding, I took a 3-4' lenght of copper plumbing pipe, hammered one end flat (into a point) and attached a lenght of 1/2" braid with a hose clamp.  (With the other end of the braid clamped to the braid on the pole).

For 12vdc, I tapped into the WFCO converter/distribution panel with #8 AWG wire.  The bottom 2 fuse poitions are rated for 30 amps.  The converter can be a little noisy when on commercial power but, not terrible.  If I were not so lazy, I'd run wire straight to the batteries. LOL

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.  73

(With a KH call, you must have been in Hawaii, at some point?) 
manrocker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 8:01am
Tx.David for the great info,yes I lived 30y in Honolulu and retired in fl many years ago,I kept my kh call ,it helps in a pileup.i am thinking of getting one of those automatic antennas from yaesu .i am not in a hurry so I will keep you informed on my progress.i love my 177 ,it is yurt too hot now to go on the road. Tx and 73 m
Manrocker Kh6rp
 Post Reply Post Reply