Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Podder-to-be with a couple questions
    Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 4:55pm
Sounds like you have the same upgrade plan we did.  Knowing we would be taking several loops around the US and: 

1) did not want to set up a popup every day (my parents had us do that for 5 weeks when I was a kid)
2) our Sienna wasn't going to make it up the Rockies pulling anything

... we got the pod 3 summers ago, then upgraded the TV this spring.  We'll be starting our tours beginning next summer.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 4:23pm
Thanks Sean & techntrek -- that definitely clears it up for me!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 4:20pm
Thanks 'Slogger.  We know we are going to be pushing it a bit but with only 2 of us doing short weekend type trips, and staying conscious of the weight (packing lite, towing with tanks empty, etc) we think we will be fine for now.  I'd love to trade-in and get a larger rated TV but doing that would most likely delay us another year for getting a Pod, and wife is getting anxious to get into one and out of the tent at this point. 

I'm definitely planning on upsizing at some point ... probably when we decide we have the time to take off on some longer trips in fall 2013!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 3:45pm
To expand on that - the receiver is the 2-inch-square opening that is permanently installed on your TV (you don't want to get a 2" hitch & ball permanently installed, but they do exist).  The part that goes into the receiver as well as the parts that go on the pod are all part of the WDH system. 

My picture above is a bad example because I don't have all of the WDH parts in place, but the large black assembly attached to the rear of my TV is part of what you get when you buy the E2 or Equalizer.  There are two long bars that go between it and the pod, but I don't have them installed in that pic.  Then there are two brackets that mount on the pod's tongue.  You can just barely see them sticking below the tongue, just behind the propane tank.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by P&M

Thanks for letting me know I'm on the right track.  Stupid question though ... is a weight distribution hitch a separate one that I should look at getting installed, or is it a component that attaches to a regular hitch?

You have to have a receiver installed. The WDH goes into the receiver. There are also parts that connect to the tongue of the trailer.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 2:04pm
Just know that with a 3500lb towing capacity you are getting kind of "close". The dry weight of a 177 shouldn't be an issue but when you load your stuff and possibly carry water in the holding tank it's easy to get up near the 3,000 lb level.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 1:51pm

Thanks for letting me know I'm on the right track.  Stupid question though ... is a weight distribution hitch a separate one that I should look at getting installed, or is it a component that attaches to a regular hitch?

P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 2:58pm
Welcome.  Looks like everything has been covered - hitch, brake controller, tranny cooler.  I highly recommend either the E2 or Equalizer WDH, you will notice a large improvement in ride quality while also gaining sway control.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 1:42pm
As far as the install work goes the friend would be the cheapest I'm sure.  As long as he knows what he is doing.  The tranny cooler is worth the cost.  If you get caught in very slow traffic on a hot day it will pay for itself.  After you get the Pod pay attention to how well you can stop when towing.  If the Pod seems to be pushing you it might be a good idea to check into better brakes on your TV.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 8:28am

Good morning everyone!  I've been lurking around here for a year now learning as much as I can about the Pods, and my wife & I are now at a point where we are looking to buy a 177 later this fall.  However, I need to get my TV in order first which is where I have a couple questions that I am sure y'all can help with.

I have a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz 6-cyl with 3500# towing capacity which should be fine for our needs and a 177 (local camping trips, nothing cross-country, taking our time to get there sort of thing).  However, it doesn't have a tow package on it and I need to get that all taken care of first.  So if I understand it correctly I will need at a minimum the hitch assembly with 2" ball, wiring harness (7-pin) and an electronic brake controller ... right?  I am not mechanically inclined myself around cars so I have 3 options for getting it done -- Hyundai dealer, RV dealer or buy the stuff myself and have a mechanic friend install it ... thoughts on which may be best?

For an anti-sway assembly I was thinking of waiting until buying the 177 and getting it then.  The only other thing I can think of upfront is that I have seen where some Podders have installed transmission coolers on their TV's ... is that a real necessity based on where we live (NC) and how we will be using it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, thoughts & comments -- We are really excited about this!

Pat
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply