R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJeep Wrangler and Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee
    Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 3:22pm
Thanks for the info.  Question since you have the 177.  When it is not popped out, is there still room to walk from the door to the bed?  Is it essentially a 171 if not popped out?  Can you use the appliances if you do not pop it out?  Do you worry about the slide breaking?  Have you heard of that being a problem?  My husband is always worried about bells and whistles because he said that is just one more thing to break!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 4:40pm
Yes you can get by, there is enough room there that we store our large ice chest (105 quart) there when traveling. Yes, all the appliances work when the slide is in.

The slide can't really "break" it's just a movable space. The technology of the "RV slide" is about 25 years old, it's mature. IF the motor was to fail, and I guess it could happen, the slide can be operated manually.

We have been camping and around RV's for decades, and I can only recall a couple instances where someone had any kind of slide problem. And those where a long time ago when they all had to be locked and unlocked before/after travel.. stuff like that. IMHO, the one and only downside of any slide is it is a hole in the camper.. they can leak. But it's not a given that they will, and in fact I have only known of a few people with that problem.
dcrispin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 3:19pm
I am a "jeep person" also. I have had alot of experience pulling my Rpod 173, with 2 jeeps, and talked extensively with other jeepers pulling trailers in the same size/weight catagory.  My jeeps are 2008 Wrangler 4dr Rubicon and 2012 Wrangler 4dr Rubicon.  Both have towing issues but for different reasons.
There are some issues to be aware of.
First the 4.0 jeep engine has all the power needed to pull any Rpod up to about 3,000Lb. The issues are all about the gearing and the vehicle size and frame strength.
If your Cherokee is a 4X4 it will have lower gears than a 2 wheel drive model.  That is good.  You didnt say if it was a stick or auto although both are really great transmissions.  A 2 wheel drive model generally has higher gears unless it came with a factory tow package.  An after market hitch is not the same low gearing as a factory tow package. 

You need to check your vehicles rated tow capacaty. Which can be obtained by contacting Chrysler jeep or if you have an owners manual.  Online search may get the answers also.  you can get a "build sheet" on your jeeps by calling Chrysler jeep and asking for it.  If your gears are 4.10 ratio you are better off than if they are 3.73 ir 3.21 etc. (The higher the final ratio the lower the gears).  You need to tow at least 500lbs under the max rating.

As for the Wrangler unlimited.  Again the manufacturers rated tow capacaty is everyting.  If your unlimited is a Rubicon it will have lower gears which is good.  In the Wranglers case a stick is better than an auto.

A simple test that I did was to rent a uhaul enclosed utility trailer of approximately the same size.  In my case I found one that weighed 2000Lb and I added weight inside to match the 2500lb of the Rpod I was going to buy.  I spent a day towing it all over. 

I found that I was ok on flat roads at up to about 60mph but it was really hard on my auto transmission above that or into a strong wind or on hills.  My jeeps have less power in the engines and more importantly less torque than yours as the newer models came out with an enemic 3.8L put put engine.  Also my jeeps are rated at 3500lb towing.

If you rent a trailer and do the tow test you will know the answer. 

By the way, I am currently in the mountains of Colorado and had a nightmare getting my pod over the high passes.  In one case I was going 10mph in first gear before clearing the top.  But again my jeep issues are different than yours.  Jus try to test tow under the same conditions you will travel. 

By the way each Rpod has a yellow sticker on it with its actual tested weight, certified, on it.  check it out before buying.

Good luck
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 3:30pm
We have a 171 and love it. We have towed it down to Disney World twice, hitting Lion Country Safari and the Keys both times. It tows great and both our trips were a month long and we were very comfortable. We towed it with our Dodge Grand Caravan with no problems.
The big thing is to just drive at a speed you are comfortable with and let people pass. We have found driving between 50-55 we get the best mileage. Don't think you could go wrong with either model.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12