FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC THERMOSTAT MY PETS DIED - Event Date: 08 Jun 2012 - 08 Jun 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: AC THERMOSTAT MY PETS DIED
    Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 12:11pm
Hello  

I own an RPod 176 and had it a month.  I have owned several RV in the past.  I took my rv to New Braunfels TX with my daughter and my 2 best buddies Brinklee 11 and Bailee 9 both are Maltese.  Brinklee was a gift from my husband after my mom died...we had 3 goldens at the time....later he got cancer....they became one till he died.  I got Bailee a few years later.  

Sat I got up made breakfast luvd on my boys, set the fan on high.  We had been using the AC you have to due to the heat.   I went back in and put the fan on high.  I won't think about how what or why  or what if.

I came home to my dead babies from the heat.  I am desperate to find another thermostat vs the one it comes with.  I have been told the manual ones are no longer made.  I think this is the only way I can move forward and trust my self.  I know the unit is 12 volts so I can go to lowes to just get one.  I have contacted a local RV shop for help.  I have ask the dealer to contact the maker Domectic for help. 

I dont need a you did this or that...I have enought shame guilt and heart ache to last till I die and then some.  I dont know if I will ever get past this nor my daughter.   I had dogs that lived to be 16 years old never left them out side ...trust me 3 goldens are a handful. 

My family is devistated and this is alll my fault. 

Please respond if you know how i can get rid of this thermostat.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 1:11pm
Check with your dealer to see if they can recommend another thermostat for the air conditining.  My sympathies about the loss of your pets.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 1:20pm
Welcome to the forum.  I am sorry to hear of the loss of your pets.  We have 5 cats and a dog, and have had several that we were very close to.  My wife has a tattoo of the pawprint of our "baby", a cat we adopted when we were still dating.  He lived to be 15, but passed 2 years ago.

I've read your post several times and I don't understand what happened.  Was the unit set to A/C mode but it never came on?  Or was it blowing cold air when you changed the fan to high?

The reason I ask is the problem may not have been with the thermostat.  With the fan on high its possible the unit froze up - with the small volume of air inside the pods even leaving it on low could present problems.  We leave ours set to low overnight so the sound of the compressor cycling on and off doesn't wake us up and there have been several nights we've woken up to heavy condensation dripping inside.  That's never been a problem during the day when we leave the fan on auto.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 2:03pm
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  We had bought our r.pod to go RV-ing with our dog and named it after her.  We would definitely like to hear what you think malfunctioned with the a/c and/or thermostat when you are ready to share.

Take care.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 2:20pm
If it is the Dometic thermostat like our 177 has my guess is that turning the fan to high moved AC to Fan.  The same thermostat runs the fan, air and heat.   When on just fan the pod got way to hot.  I read the poster wanting a thermostat that will not allow that to happen.  Maybe a mechanical thermostat just for the air can be installed by a dealer familiar with the system.

We also take our dogs with us when we go camping.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I've read your post several times and I don't understand what happened.  Was the unit set to A/C mode but it never came on?  Or was it blowing cold air when you changed the fan to high?

The reason I ask is the problem may not have been with the thermostat.  With the fan on high its possible the unit froze up - with the small volume of air inside the pods even leaving it on low could present problems.  We leave ours set to low overnight so the sound of the compressor cycling on and off doesn't wake us up and there have been several nights we've woken up to heavy condensation dripping inside.  That's never been a problem during the day when we leave the fan on auto.

I am wondering also, if the A/C unit was "on", or just the fan...?

If it is screaming hot out and we have to leave the dogs in the pod, I leave the A/C fan on low, temperature on thermostat set to 75 or so. I also leave a window open and the fantastic fan on low, vent wide open. My therory is if the A/C fails, or the breaker trips (has happened), then there will be at least some airflow through the camper. I personaly like the concept of the manual thermostst more than the auto/digital one. Easier for me to see what settings I have selected.

Also, I am not sure about the 12v comment, and that is part of what confuses me about what happened..

Regardless I hate it for you and your pups.

EDIT: My wife points out that we also, whenever leaving the dogs alone in the camper in hot weather, make sure, just before walking out, that the A/C is in fact blowing cold air..

I also think you could use a seperate thermostat, household type, just for the A/C. I note that is how our airstream is wired/controlled...
joe & vickie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:35am
  Sorry to hear of your loss. I dont know what I would do If that happened to me.  Where you were camped at, were you you hooked up to electric? If you wasn't your air conditioner wont work. The Air conditioner, Microwave & the TV only work on 110 Volt electricity, not on 12 Volt. Your lights & Smoke Detector & Gas Detector are all that work on 12 Volt.
R-POD 177- Gitty up go
FORD-F 150
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:30am
Hi,
  I am so sorry for your loss.  We have two very old pugs and over the years, as we have switched from one RV to another,,,it is always with the requirement of it having AC.  Pugs are very susceptible to heat issues.  We just bought our RPod and are working on its modifications before we take it out.  Our pugs always go with us.  We are not fond of the AC digital thermostat and with what happened to you,,,we are going to put that thermostat at the top of our modification list.  Please, don't let the guilt get to you.  When we had an ALiner type of RV, I also would put the Fantastic Fan on high with the thought that if the AC failed, the fan would at least get rid of the hot air.  You did what you thought would be the best.  Our thoughts go out to you.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 8:21am
It's been over a week since you posted this.  As others have said, I think we need addtional info before making any recommendations.  Something doesn't sound right here.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:32am
Originally posted by joe & vickie

Sorry to hear of your loss. I dont know what I would do If that happened to me.  Where you were camped at, were you you hooked up to electric? If you wasn't your air conditioner wont work. The Air conditioner, Microwave & the TV only work on 110 Volt electricity, not on 12 Volt. Your lights & Smoke Detector & Gas Detector are all that work on 12 Volt.

Just an "aside FYI"..

Water Heater controls, 'fridge controls, fantatsic fan, furnace and water pump all also require/use 12v. Your 'fridge, water heater and furnace use gas and 12v at the same time, to work in 12v mode. The 'fridge can work in 12v mode only, but not for long, even with dual batteries, 10 hours or so is the longest I would let ours run in 12v.

Back on topic, I too am puzzled that we have not heard back the result of her findings/research into what happened or finding a new thermostat.. I know by now I would have resolved it and posted here to help the pod..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>